What to look at in a pawn shop saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voytek Jarnot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks, new here and fairly new to chainsaws. I'm looking for a saw to use with an Alaskan mill.

Saw a 385 in the local stolen goods emporium. I think I can get it for less than $300 - anyone have an idea of what a range of prices for used 385s might be?

Bar and chain are shot, plastic isn't cracked anywhere, but a few screws are missing.

Also, my main question, what should I look at when inspecting the saw?

Thanks...

Welcome to arboristsite!!

In response to your question, it depends on how much they let you tear into the saw. Most pawnshops around here won't even let you start the saw AND on top of that, they offer no warranty. Some allow you to start the saw, some even offer a 3day warranty.

I'm sure that other folks more knowledgeable that I am will have other things to look for, but I'd take a look at the overall visual condition of the saw - AV mounts, plastic, paint or metal loss on the underside, and the sprocket and clutch drum's physical condition. If they let you pull the muffler and look at the piston, or pull the plug and inspect its condition and color, these would be great ways to get a sense of the saw's condition and level of use/abuse. Otherwise, at least do a half-assed compression test: see how quickly the saw drops to the floor when you hold it up only by the starter rope (note: decompression button can't be pushed in for this test!). The results of this test tend to be binary - either "trashed" or "maybe not trashed" - but it at least helps rule out completely compressionless saws.

A 385 for less than $300 that passed the starter rope compression test and didn't evidence any obvious signs of abuse would be pretty tempting, especially since you can always resell it on eBay and get most of your money back (or, heck, maybe even all of it or even turn a profit!).

Thanks for the reply.

They'll definitely let me start it. And I don't think they'll have a problem with me taking it apart... but we'll see.

Pull the plug I can do. Pulling the muffler I have never done on my 345, what do I look for?

Also the compression test - any more details for a newbie? Just pick up the saw, hold the starter rope and let go of the saw?

This saw doesn't look abused, but it doesn't exactly appear well-maintained either, at least judging by the missing screws.

300 for a 385 sounds like a good price. A nice looking but used one on ebay just sold for 495.00. I don't remeber how many screws the muffler on the 385 has, I think two of them are recessed and then there are one or two on a bracket on the lower portion of the muffler. Very easy to remove, takes an allen wrench.

Jim

If you can pull the muffler, you want to look at the piston as it passes by the exhaust port. If the piston has deep vertical grooves in it that go through the rings and all the way to the top, then the saw will be losing compression since the high pressure gases from combustion will be able to get by the rings.

Most saws have some degree of scuffing on the exhaust side of the piston below the rings. It's when the grooves are deep and go up past the rings that problems start to happen.

If you can't pull the muffler, then just hold the saw with one hand on the front grip and one hand on the pull starter then let go of the front grip. If the weight of the saw is enough to turn the engine over, there's very little compression occurring in the engine.

Hi,
Welcome to A.S.
If they will let you check it out and it is ok then 300.00 is a very good deal.Wish I could find the same deal,you would see it in my sig.
Mark

Thanks for the help folks. Picked 'er up today for $200 - they originally had it tagged for $399, but didn't complain much about a $200 dollar offer - which means I didn't go low enough, oh well.

Didn't get a chance to pull the muffler, but does seem to run strong. Carb probably needs adjusting as the chain does run a bit on idle.

Missing a bunch of screws and the stop switch doesn't work - I think I've found the loose wire already though. By god, does it need a cleaning.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions as I get to playing...

Back