what to plant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucew44guns

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need some opinion about what I should plant. I'm in North Central Kansas. Lots of Clay soil here, but it's deep dirt on my place, well drained, and fertile. I have a spot that is fenced off from the pasture and is around a farm building I use to store tractors and parts in. The plot is about 220 feet long, and around 110 feet wide. I had wanted a grove of trees on that spot, planted close and just keep it mowed, watered, and watch them grow. I planned on Black Walnut from the state forestry nursery. A couple people have warned of the terrible slow growth, plus the problem here with bag worms. Those worms do eat a lot of foliage and make the trees ugly in the later summer.
I planted some sycamores 4 years ago, fantastic!! Some are 12 to 14 feet high allready and those trees have gotten little water from me. Another friend has encouraged me to plant Burr Oak, I'm sure those are slow too. The project is for looks, shade on that spot, just a whim sort of project I've wanted to do. Someone may cut them all down one day for wood after I'm gone, who knows? But I want rows of trees planted 10 feet in the row, and the rows 10 feet apart as well, for quick coverage. Be about 9 rows of 22 trees each, a few under 200 trees, any advise or words on this?, I appreciate it, and thank you.

Thanks you two.I planted about a dozen pecans around 3 years ago, they are on poor ground in that spot, and have made it up aboout to the 30 inch mark so far. I'm 67, I want to see some action on this stated project, so I may well just cover the whole thing in Sycamore. Hate the leaves though, sure will be a ton of them.

Latest posts

Back