What Tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hickory.. Shellbark or shagbark. Wish I had em down here. Great for bbq smokin wood

Last edited:
Shagbark hickory.
Some mighty fine firewood and cooking wood.
And the nuts are edible although the squirrels will get them before you do.

Got you some primo wood there. Only two bummers with shaggybark, one..the bark traps dirt, sometimes can be a little of an adventure to get it bucked up with chains dulling. What I do is axe off some of the outerbark and hit it with a broom first..just depends on the tree. Trees on the edges of fields seem to get more dirt.

Second is bugs love it! Deeelicious to them!

Get the outside of the rounds slabbed off thin as soon as possible, then split the rest. Faster it dries, less bugs.

Besides that just outstanding wood!

Thank you!

Glad to hear it's good stuff. Lots of them around! Some of them are monsters too!

Jim

This is the easiest tree ID ever posted here. Shagbark Hickory. One of the best firewoods. One of the best cooking woods too. Barbeque smokers will use more hickory than anything. As mentioned above the bugs like it too. Your woodstacks will be covered in sawdust as the bugs bore holes in hickory. This also leads to lots of popping and throwing sparks so many people are afraid of hickory in an open fireplace. Also the lose bark tends to trap dirt and sand under it therefore dulling you chain while cutting. The other drawback to hickory is it is hard to split. Even a straight grained round that pops right open with the first strike of the maul will hold together with lots of stringy fibers. Many times I have busted a round up only to find that I cant pull it apart by hand and have to use the axe to sever the strings.

Hickory.. Shellbark or shagbark. Wish I had em down here. Great for bbq smokin wood

yup, seem to like elevation and clay in these parts. I see many in Flemington/Raritan twsp clay soil hilltops. maybe they like the water? the soils in those areas is swampy. I see a few down by me near creeks and streams.

This is the easiest tree ID ever posted here. Shagbark Hickory. One of the best firewoods. One of the best cooking woods too. Barbeque smokers will use more hickory than anything. As mentioned above the bugs like it too. Your woodstacks will be covered in sawdust as the bugs bore holes in hickory. This also leads to lots of popping and throwing sparks so many people are afraid of hickory in an open fireplace. Also the lose bark tends to trap dirt and sand under it therefore dulling you chain while cutting. The other drawback to hickory is it is hard to split. Even a straight grained round that pops right open with the first strike of the maul will hold together with lots of stringy fibers. Many times I have busted a round up only to find that I cant pull it apart by hand and have to use the axe to sever the strings.

My first big hickory I did like I indicated above..no bugs yet. Slabbed the outside thin as possible to get the bark off, then regular split the rest. The bark slabs being so thin dried fast, the rest of it is gray and checking now, but I see zero bugs. When I split hickory before 'regular" with thick pieces with bark still on, tons of bugs.

They don'[t like dry wood it appears, has to be juicy. This is still an ongoing experiment, but so far, those are the results.

added bonus, could do the slabbing fairly easy with the lightweight fiskars.

Latest posts

Back