What trees do you dislike removing/pruning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xander9727

The Silverback
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what the members of this site think are the least enjoyable trees to remove. I'm concentrating more on the PITA factor than anything else.

Personally I really dislike the smell of ailanthus being cut or chipped. Sycamore has that stringy crap that fills your lungs, irratates your throat and clogs the radiator screen on the chipper.

I'm sure I'll get responses from those in other areas with trees I've never seen or worked on. That's what may make the thread interesting.

not sure what the PITA factor is but heres my list....

Plane....Platanus acerifolia to avoid confusion

any dead tree that has to be raked out of long grass

pyrancantha and burburous(sp?)

russian ivy.....fumes make me nausious when you put them through the chipper

hate the smell of laurel going through the chipper also

sure i'll think of more soon

Ailanthus stinks but it actually chips nice. I hate dead Cottonwood removals because it breaks into a quadrillion pieces. Russian Olive varies but can be a real pain. Some varieties of Juniper seem to be designed to ball up on the feed wheels when chipping. Ash is a pain to chip sometimes due to all the 90degree branch angles but nice to climb. Pyracantha is a shrub rather than a tree but those are always fun (NOT) to play with. Wild Plum is a nasty mess at times. Ah... but variety is the spice.:)

Pyracantha is a shrub rather than a tree but those are always fun (NOT) to play with

we just did a job where were cutting about 2 acre's Pyracantha it was used as ground cover to keep the undesirables out. after 3 days of cutting there still about another day left.

i felt bad for the guys trying to chip that stuff with a whisper chipper.

anything with poison ivy on it!

raking dead trees period

elm, it stinks, cuts/chips hard, and no one wants it for firewood

silver maples that were topped 10+ years ago. you know the ones with the 9-10 inch diameter waterspouts going up 30+ feet. and they're always right next to the house/power lines

catawba

sycamore

running twisted cherry through the chipper

A friend of mine wanted me to add Honey Locust. I have to agree with this one. It is good though to teach guys to feed from the side. I once cleared an acre of this stuff. After the first day everyone was real well versed on chipping from the side.:D

I also don't like crab apple trees. The always bend an twist.....usually hitting me.:angry:

I have a great time with hawthorns. I was picking a thorn out for a couple of days. I got poked later in the day when I was tying my bootlaces and brushed one that had lodged itself in my pants. Yes, a pricker in my pants.

It made me look a drug addict picking at the inside of my elbow while I was in class with bruised and scraped up forearms. :D

I never thought it would get this far. But I'm scaling back and delegating chipping to other, younger, more spry crewmembers.

And we don't have any of the trees mentioned so far here.:D But believe me, we do have a lot of nasty ones. I don't work on opiuma trees unless the entire tree can be cut from the ground with a power pruner. They have small needle like thorns through out the whole tree. Imagine trying to climb and tie in on a tree with 1/2" thorns on the branches and trunk. You need to run all ropes through a pulley. Even then your ropes and straps get all torn up. Plus they stink.

My list is not all that long:

I hate Palms. Any palm...

Anything with poisan ivy growing in it.

Dragging Elm brush (I am not into getting whipped!)

Raking up on steep hills, especiallywith lots of grass - what a pain.

Any tree over 24"dbhand 100' tall that I am not removing with a crane, bucket, or other mechanical aids for getting the wood down and away from my otherwise pleasant life. Or any tree that I can't fall/buck and walk away from.:cool:

Back