What type of lobed leave oak tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What type of lobed leave oak tree is this? (Overcup Oak)

I have some type of oak here. The tree was cut down to the ground a year ago and has sprouted from the stump. Ignore the black bean pods and vines below the tree.

oaklobed1.jpg

oaklobed2.jpg

Last edited:
I just found out that this is a Water Oak, Quercus nigra L.

It does look like an Overcup Oak based on the leaves, but after investigating the surrounding areas, I could not find one single adult Overcup Oak. I then started investigating new growth on the Water Oak trees and it matched up. I found another similar tree not to far from this one and I was actually able to find a leave on it that was the traditional shape of a Water Oak leave. I will continue to monitor this tree, but I feel the leaves will eventually convert to the traditional Water Oak leaves and not the severly lobed leaves of an Overcup Oak.

Well, that just goes to show the pitfalls of trying to make a long distance ID with just a couple of pictures. Its always better to do some investigating on and around the site.

Treeman14, you are correct. However, your information did point me in the right direction. Plus you are in my same state, so your more familiar with trees in my state. Any guesses, right or wrong are helpful in helping me identify a tree.

from the pics the leaves look similar to california black oak its funny how some oak leaves look so similar

New growth from an adventitious sprout can cause some odd shaped leaves. True?

Back