What type of vehicle do you take to

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use my 2000 RC F350 4x4 PSD, and my 5'x10' utility trailer.

parrysounder said:
I had to replace on front axle, only because I was stupid and slid into a stump on ice and sheared off the bolt flange, and the wheel fell off. Funny thing is, I drove home about 5 miles with 7 wheels! Tried to weld it, it lasted about 1 year and broke again. The Argo factory provided the parts and instruction on how to do the job. It took about 6 hours in total. I think the axles are 1 1/4" if I recall.

As for floating, it floats fine and moves at a pace up to a medium troll. The shaft to body seals are just like bearing buddies on boat trailers. The bearings will last forever if you keep up with the regular greasing. Remember, this unit is almost 30 years old, and I am sure that the newer Argo's have refined many things over the years.

IMHO, Argo's are more durable and reliable than any other ATV's, just because their design is so simple and robustly constructed. They don't serve everyone's needs, but if you are ever looking for a woodlot utility vehicle, check them out. ( Gee, this sounds like an advertisement, and no, I am not a dealer, just a satisfied customer)

Thanks for the response,

They used to be raced here but the axles were always breaking and that was the downfall.

As for what to take to the woods a Cat D7 works well

Oliver 770 with bucket loader and Fransgard winch for cutting and skidding. Use chains and loaded tires during firewood season. Then use a converted manure spreader for hauling out the wood. Sometimes take the loader off as the tractor is a lot more manueverable in the tight spots without it. The weight of the loader is nice on the steep stuff though.

I use a Honda 500 rubicon to pull most logs, sometimes the 81 Chev if the chunks are too big. Can get the atv where the truck won't go.

Use my '54 Ferguson TEA tractor and a small trailer. One day coming out of the woods, the old Fergie went straight through a muddy mess on the logging trail. My buddies Artic Cat 4 wheel drive atv became stuck and we had to winch it out. Fergie went through it with a full load of beech blocks on the trailer. I love the old tractor ,though it's not as old as I am, nor does it have the miles. Paul F B

I use either a 1946 Allis Chalmers HD 7 dozer (complete with screaming Jimmy)1953 JD 530, or a 1971 JD 4320 with loader. And even sometimes use the dodge......:rock:

in the winter, (november thru may) i use a 2001 ski doo skandic with super wide track and low range and reverse. it will pull more wood than will fit on the 4'x6' sled. in the summer you can't beat a toyota pickup.

mackie said:
in the winter, (november thru may) i use a 2001 ski doo skandic with super wide track and low range and reverse. it will pull more wood than will fit on the 4'x6' sled. in the summer you can't beat a toyota pickup.

Mackie,
Beautiful pic! Have you sent that in to Ski-Doo? They would probably love it.

05 Honda Foreman 500 4x4 fo wheeler

I pull logs with it and haul pieces with a small trailer. Does a real job. 2000lb winch on the front has helped me a lot to.

Latest posts

Back