what wood is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Locust anybody?

It doesn't look like any oak I have ever cut. The end grain could definitely pass for red elm. The bark does not seem right for red elm though, at least not any I am familiar with. The nice clean split doesn't seem right for elm either.

The smell would be a big clue IMO...

I've just never had a single piece of Red Elm split that cleanly..ever. Does very cold or green Elm break with out the giant mishmash of fibers I'm use to?
I've had some Red Elm split very clean, especially when green. Most is stringy, but not near has bad has other Elm.

It's shagbark hickory.. I have cut plenty of them. They do split as clean and easy or easier than oak. Don't get to hung up on the color it's just wet. Not red elm or oak . Does it smell like the pig barn at the fair? It also looses a lot of the shaggy Ness the more it is handled. Which I can tell this has

It's shagbark hickory.. I have cut plenty of them. They do split as clean and easy or easier than oak. Don't get to hung up on the color it's just wet. Not red elm or oak . Does it smell like the pig barn at the fair? It also looses a lot of the shaggy Ness the more it is handled. Which I can tell this has
it doesn't look like any shaggy bark hickory that we have in this area. usually after the bark falls off it almost has the look of sugar maple.

Maybe:

White Oak (Quercus alba)

Swamp Chestnut Oak (Quercus michauxii)

Swamp White Oak (Quercus bicolor)

Remember this: Oaks hybridize.

Maybe even Bastard Oak. Look it up. I've a few on the property and the bark looks like what you've got.

I concur . I also have some white oaks of approx this diameter that look just like this. Every time I run across one I wonder where that hickory came from. It's an oak for sure and I have never seen a red with bark like that.

We don't have any swamp oak on our place here, so I have no idea what it looks like. But the photo below from the OP is red elm and doesn't look like the wood in the other photos.

DSCN0790_zps8mgroncs.jpg

Possibly honey locust, but the bark looks too thick and not quite like it does around here. Wood grain looks like honey locust and you would definitely be able to slab it off like that because it splits fairly easily. If it smells like cat piss it could be honey locust.

While I agree the bark looks like Hickory I can't agree that it is in fact Hickory. Never seen hickory that looks like that once split, much to dark. I have never seen red elm in person but I have to agree with Sunfish on this one.

Back