What wood species would you choose if you could?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm very fortunate to be located in Pennsylvania where we are Blessed with many great varieties of wood to choose from. But one that I wish that I could get is Yellow Birch; I got a round of it a few years ago while on vacation in Vermont, but haven't seen it here. It got me thinking-if you guys could get ONE species of wood that isn't available in your area, what would it be? :jester:

Go With the One You Got

Downeast coastal Maine is tough for good hardwood. Little oak, little white ash, almost no hickory, some yellow locust. Too much paper birch and red maple....way too much spruce and fir.
Here's what I want that you will deliver from PA, CT, VT ,or any of those oak/hickory "zones", in order of desire for a 6 cord load :
1. white ash
2 white oak ( will settle for red)
3. hickory
4. hard maple
The above will be cut ( 18"-22") ,split, and delivered. You may share in stacking for a peek at the stack before you return home to satisfy your needs .
Thanks for your consideration.

An endless supply of 20"+ northern US variety of cherry.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see this was the firewood subforum. I take that back, I wouldn't burn all that sweet cherry, I'd build stuff with it.

Last edited:
Downeast coastal Maine is tough for good hardwood. Little oak, little white ash, almost no hickory, some yellow locust. Too much paper birch and red maple....way too much spruce and fir.
Here's what I want that you will deliver from PA, CT, VT ,or any of those oak/hickory "zones", in order of desire for a 6 cord load :
1. white ash
2 white oak ( will settle for red)
3. hickory
4. hard maple
The above will be cut ( 18"-22") ,split, and delivered. You may share in stacking for a peek at the stack before you return home to satisfy your needs .
Thanks for your consideration.

I'll send you 6 cords of oak. It won't be cheap but I'll send it.

Scott

I'm very fortunate to be located in Pennsylvania where we are Blessed with many great varieties of wood to choose from. But one that I wish that I could get is Yellow Birch; I got a round of it a few years ago while on vacation in Vermont, but haven't seen it here. It got me thinking-if you guys could get ONE species of wood that isn't available in your area, what would it be? :jester:
well seeing i live in pa im pretty satisfied with my choices. Why do you like the birch? Osage orange,hickory,and black locust are my picks for heat value.
As for fireplace ambience and smell, black cherry is second to none in my opinion. Try barebecuing over it. It works great. one exception for the osage is that it sparks like no other wood I have seen. So unless you have the proper setup I wouldnt mess with it. Hickory is right under it for btu's and I consider it the king of woods, also another barbecue favorite and wont spark to bad at all. black locust is another great one. Had an old guy tell me they used it in blacksmith shops when they ran out of coal.oaks always good but I find im happier with locust. In the end a good old pa hardwood mix usually works great.

seems like maple is the most common here in central CT.

i like white and red oak,locust ,and cherry.

we are spoiled with what is rated as some o0f the best woods in America for firewood. Lots of heat, little ash in the stove. I choose Pacific madrone if I have to split it, but I will take live oak if someone else wants to split it for me! LOL

well seeing i live in pa im pretty satisfied with my choices. Why do you like the birch?

Because it is different from all of the great ones that you mentioned plus more that are here! That is the whole idea of this thread-which wood species would you choose if you could that you don't already HAVE! Not which are our favorite woods-but which would you like to get your hands on that aren't local to you-Mesquite, Yellow Birch, Pecan, etc. You know, kind of a "wish-list" thing! :laugh:

Because it is different from all of the great ones that you mentioned plus more that are here! That is the whole idea of this thread-which wood species would you choose if you could that you don't already HAVE! Not which are our favorite woods-but which would you like to get your hands on that aren't local to you-Mesquite, Yellow Birch, Pecan, etc. You know, kind of a "wish-list" thing! :laugh:
In that case mesquite.

I would have to say the following,
1, Locust
2, White or Red Oak
3. Hickory
Those are for heat, but I love to smell Cherry burn.
Tom

white oak
locust
kentucky coffee bean

a lot of hedge(osage orange) around here but, was left off
the list because of popping and spitting of embers on the carpet.

I'm fortunate to live in one of the most productive and diversified areas in country regarding hardwoods .I have my pick of many species.Hickory is great,oak splits rather easily ,ash will burn any time,cherry smells wonderful.

All in all though anything that will fit through the stove door will produce btu's.Cottonwood or swamp willow heat just as well as red oak or shagbark hickory,of course they don't last as long.My motto,cheap is good,free is better.It's all free to me other than my labor.

I could use a load of Mesquite for my BBQ pit, but I will trade Log Butcher a load of Oak for a load of Lobsters!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Back