What would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Log hog

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a machine to pick up wood, stump grinding shavings, black dirt etc. I was thinking about a 30-40 tractor with a bucket and a few other attachments. I was also thinking about a skid steer, and what seems to intrigue me the most is the mini ride on skid steers. My biggest concern is lawn damage then load capacity, speed and over all performance. The main reason for the purchase is for removal of the wood. Its a killer on the body:cry: . I would love to hear from all owners of all the pieces of equipment I spoke of. And any one who has experience in operating these type of equipment.

I have a ASV 30,,,does a nice job,,,custamer IS ALWAYS IMPRESSED... It's fast,, dependable.has Catapillar diesel,,catapillar joy sticks. Lifts a good load. Cost me about $25K

I've got an ASV RC30 too. I got mine slightly used...47 hours. Great machine with some limitations, of course. It's 4 feet wide so can manuver well in tight spots. It will only handle about 900-1000 pounds. Lots of attachments are available. The 31.5 hp CAT engine has surprising power...almost feels like it has 10 more hp than it really does. CAT owns 30 % of ASV, think. ASV supplies CAT with under carriages for CAT small track loaders...257's etc. CAT supplies ASV with joystick controls and the 31.5 hp engine. I think the bigger ASV's use Perkins engines. There are some decent low hour used machines out on the market at times. I'm not trying to make a living with mine...just landscaping and use in the woods and farm.

hog
i have been using a montana 4540 4wd (40 pto hp) w/ bucket and forks and industrial tires for bout 8 months now and it is a great machine. very user friendly and performance is super. had a 4wd 1910 ford for 8 yrs previous. it was also a very functional machine but engine was always slow starting. the montana is bout 5.5' wide if thats an issue. the industrial tires have a very gentle footprint. paid $18300 new. would have bought the one i found 2 weeks later w/ 40 hrs on it for $16k. $16-18k is a long way from 25K im my household.

ROLLACOSTA said:
Compact tractor or Gehl skid -steer,I wouldn't even consider anything else!!
Why only Gehl? Please elaborate.

Back