What would you pay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispexx

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Found a listing fir ‘chainsaw blades and chain’ $20 a bar and $10 a chain and about 20 bars and 100 chains they say. Person knows nothing about them they just want them gone, so no chance until i see them for myself what drive link, pitch and gauge they all are. In the pics it shows some pretty good sized bars measuring in at ‘35-38 inches’ so good sized bars. So if you were in my position, what would you say is a good price for this stuff?
b2e4e17049281da786370bdd7b7b4d32.jpg

a5346f69e6e7917c9dd0720c3488609c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found a listing fir ‘chainsaw blades and chain’ $20 a bar and $10 a chain and about 20 bars and 100 chains they say. Person knows nothing about them they just want them gone, so no chance until i see them for myself what drive link, pitch and gauge they all are. In the pics it shows some pretty good sized bars measuring in at ‘35-38 inches’ so good sized bars. So if you were in my position, what would you say is a good price for this stuff?
b2e4e17049281da786370bdd7b7b4d32.jpg

a5346f69e6e7917c9dd0720c3488609c.jpg

Bars could be bent bring a straight edge with you.

Looks like a commercial outfit. They normally run stuff until is is worn. You can get more use out of the bars by tightening, straightening, and squaring. The chains may be usable or not. Inspect them.

Who know what the story will be behind these. Got them in a divorce, bought a storage unit, bought a store front and they were left there... all sorts of possibilities.

Probably worth millions, it all says stihl on it :laugh:.
Do you need any of it, are you buying it to flip, do you sharpen for a living and can have them on hand, do you have the ability to break chains to set them up the length you or a customer would need them, how far away are they from you. I need a lot more info to know what a good price would be for you/your particular needs.
Many times there are great items in a lot but, but after sorting thru the rest you find you should have paid a bit more and just bought the ones that stood out, then sometimes you do very well and even better than expected on the ones you thought were useless to you at first glance.
One problem I have is pricing someone else's items, tell me how much you want and I'll tell you whether I'm willing to pay it or not, normally if I'm not I won't even make an offer as you already said what you wanted for them. I'll talk with someone all day, but when it comes to striking a deal, I'm not into the back and forth.
As for what I'd pay, I wouldn't, its way to far from me and shipping would be too high :).

I’d offer 200.00 if they include the truck. Every chain may need work. It might take weeks to see if you got diamonds or a load of coal.

Probably worth millions, it all says stihl on it :laugh:.
Do you need any of it, are you buying it to flip, do you sharpen for a living and can have them on hand, do you have the ability to break chains to set them up the length you or a customer would need them, how far away are they from you. I need a lot more info to know what a good price would be for you/your particular needs.
Many times there are great items in a lot but, but after sorting thru the rest you find you should have paid a bit more and just bought the ones that stood out, then sometimes you do very well and even better than expected on the ones you thought were useless to you at first glance.
One problem I have is pricing someone else's items, tell me how much you want and I'll tell you whether I'm willing to pay it or not, normally if I'm not I won't even make an offer as you already said what you wanted for them. I'll talk with someone all day, but when it comes to striking a deal, I'm not into the back and forth.
As for what I'd pay, I wouldn't, its way to far from me and shipping would be too high :).

Millions might even be an underestimate! I do not need the bars, I don’t having anything big enough to cut or big enough to wear those bars, but I have a logging buddy who is interested. The seller is about 15 minutes down the road and I do have a chain breaker and spinner so I can adjust them to my or a friends needed length. I also have access to a grinder to sharpen the chains that are usable. I see what your talking about and it makes sense.

It looks like they are asking for $1400. for the lot, I would offer $800 and work up from there if I wanted that lot. The bars can be fixed up even if they need some straightening, squaring and a tip or two replaced they are expensive items bought new. The chains appear to have good sized cutters on the ones I can see that may need to be sharpened , depending on their length they should still be worth $10. each. I have bought 72 dl chains from rental places that were used once, they sold them for $3 if they sharpened them or $2. if not resharpened. I figured that was a good deal and grabbed enough to out last me for my cutting needs.

As clean as some of those chains look they may have only been run until they were dull and never sharpened. Can you cherry pick chains or do you have to buy them all?

I would pass, those bars look rough, who knows how bad chains could be.
At my shop we sell rolls of 3/8 chain (.050 or .063) for $385.00 if you pay cash. That’s the way to go in my opinion if you want a bunch of chain and you can cut to any size bar that you want.
I just don’t like to gamble

As clean as some of those chains look they may have only been run until they were dull and never sharpened. Can you cherry pick chains or do you have to buy them all?

I can pick and choose, they said the chains are 34-38” in length so they’re made to fit the bars and I can cut them down to fit my 25 and 28 inch bars easily. Just gotta make sure they’ll fit my 3/8 .050 bars.

I can pick and choose, they said the chains are 34-38” in length so they’re made to fit the bars and I can cut them down to fit my 25 and 28 inch bars easily. Just gotta make sure they’ll fit my 3/8 .050 bars.

If you can cherry pick the bunch 'I'd have at it. Get the bars for sure, then if you can ID the chains (stihl) that have life.

A good vertical belt sander makes short work of making the rails square if the groove is within spec and bar is not bent. People who do milling would be interested in those bars for sure.

Latest posts

Back