Whataya do with the crotches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echomeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Speaking of firewood of course. I had a bunch of oak with joints in it. I set em up and noodled them trying to separate the straight and splittable wood from the twisted wood. I noodled through the centers of each branch to release the outer, presumably straight grained wood , and keeping the centers seperate.

Anyway how do you pro's deal with the crotch wood.

Speaking of firewood of course. I had a bunch of oak with joints in it. I set em up and noodled them trying to separate the straight and splittable wood from the twisted wood. I noodled through the centers of each branch to release the outer, presumably straight grained wood , and keeping the centers seperate.

Anyway how do you pro's deal with the crotch wood.
I'm no pro but if it's good wood I do what you do.

I usually only have maple or ash wood and usually not really big stuff, max of 22" or so. When splitting wood to sell I mark all my logs to 16" and don't worry about crotches or branches. My push plate is on my cylinder so I put the single end on the wedge and push the crotch into the wedge. I split it so it's a Y when done. In my opinion this is the easiest way to split crotches. I have an adjustable 4 way splitter but usually don't raise it for crotches unless it looks like an easy split one. This looks like a sawn one but looks the same.
3094.jpg

Whataya do with the crotches

Just like all of my other firewood rounds, I push them through my 4-way wedge!

standard.jpg

NO problem at all,

standard.jpg

And keep on pushing them through,

standard.jpg

until I get the size splits I want...like I said, no problem at all...

SR

I usually only have maple or ash wood and usually not really big stuff, max of 22" or so. When splitting wood to sell I mark all my logs to 16" and don't worry about crotches or branches. My push plate is on my cylinder so I put the single end on the wedge and push the crotch into the wedge. I split it so it's a Y when done. In my opinion this is the easiest way to split crotches. I have an adjustable 4 way splitter but usually don't raise it for crotches unless it looks like an easy split one. This looks like a sawn one but looks the same.
View attachment 581807

I do the same but split it through the crotch. That will usually split it right down the "seam". If too crooked to stack decent it goes on my 'ugly' pile (shorts, longs, crooks, knots, etc). That is usually the first stuff I burn in the fall.

Knots and crotches are usually the densest and best burning parts of a tree and I don't waste them.

I do the same but split it through the crotch. That will usually split it right down the "seam". If too crooked to stack decent it goes on my 'ugly' pile (shorts, longs, crooks, knots, etc). That is usually the first stuff I burn in the fall.

Knots and crotches are usually the densest and best burning parts of a tree and I don't waste them.
I have split a lot of crotches, stacking is issue. Try to b put uglies on top. Like Casey's shorts bin.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Ill cut them down to make them easier to split... say 8-10 inches and then they go in the shorts bin... Right now my shorts bin is roughly 32' long by 4' wide and 50" tall. Its almost full.

View attachment 581869

I stack that stuff in with the regular wood. I used to not, but I'd end up with several cords a year that I couldn't even give away!

Noodle down to a manageable size with whatever of my 2 saws is at hand.

I'm not a pro, and good scrounges of firewood in legally accessible places can be hard to come by in my corner of NY, so I never waste a crotch. Besides they burn very well. I'm happy when an arborist/tree co. leaves them behind (so keep on doing that please ;) )

Sometimes, because they can be hard to stack, sections of noodled crotch often get the unenviable job of weighing down the tarps on my woodpile, but they eventually go in the fireplace.

Back