What's a fair price for log splitting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I charge $50/man hour for splitting and chipping services
that's forty for me and ten for the equipment

I encourage the homeowner to help (if he looks the part) moving the split wood out of my way and stacking

if you can split a full cord of wood (128 cubic feet) in an hour, you're a better man than me
Want a job?

Mike Barcaskey said:
if you can split a full cord of wood (128 cubic feet) in an hour, you're a better man than me
Want a job?

It's not me, it's the splitter. I'm using a Timberwolf TW-5 with a 4 way wedge and log lift. If I can come up with the extra cash I may trade this in for a TW-6. The TW-6 is 18 hp with a 2 sec faster cycle time, larger fuel tank and it will handle a 6 way wedge. It does take me longer if there is more foot work involved.

Dale

Timberwerks,
I'll second that. I also have a Timberwolf TW-5 and I have easily split a full cord in one hour. In fact with two guys and the pile near the machine I've done it in 40 minutes. I love this machine.

Woodho

If you're splitting by yourself, do you think the extra 2 seconds is going to make much of a difference? Aren't you limited by how fast you can feed the wood to it? Instead of a bigger machine, maybe an autocycle valve would give you more bang for the buck. It did for me. It's almost like having an extra person. I'm finishing up adding a chunk holder and a small chute off the front(after destroying a couple of prototypes) and my next upgrade will be some kind of deck so I don't have to bend over.

Hi Tom

I do have the auto cycle on my splitter, it does work great like you said. I do find that I can load and un load a log faster than the cycle time I have now. Even though it doesn't seem like much the 2 sec faster cycle time will help me a great deal. Over all the 2 sec is not enough of a reason to move up to the TW-6 but the other features such as larger cylinder, larger fuel tank, 7 more hp and the 6 way wedge make a big difference. I am very happy with what I have but I am looking ahead to the future and I plan on doing this for awhile.

Take Care
Dale

Hello Dale, You may have/make a nice little nich for yourself.The trick will be to print up some cards and get them to the Arborist in your area to hand out when they take down a tree....
Good Luck.
Allan

Back