Whats a good Axe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1dooley

Reaction score
Hi i'm new to arbory and I am looking for a good axe that will last me for a long time. I've done some research and almost settled on a Kelly Perfect Dayton or Michigan (not sure what the difference is) but I also just found this company online called "Council Tool" . they seem to make some good stuff but hard to tell based on a picture. I'm interested in their Jersey Pattern axe. has anyone had any experience with the Council tool axes or can you make any recomendations? P.S. I don't have the money for a Gransfurd Burks axe or I would get that in a second. Thanks!

fiskars makes a good axe...just make sure you get something forged and not cast

Eor the money;

Fiskars are a well balanced and durable tool. The Snow and Neeleys are really nice if you want to spend the money.

All that said a 20 year old Estwing almost always accompanies me when chipping or for knocking stray limbs off rounds when splitting. It doesn't have the heaviest head but the balance is decent, and the steel handle works very well as a makeshift pry bar or for rolling downed limbs etc. should the saw get pinched.

Take Care

I own both the Fiskars and the helko Vario 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe..

The helko Vario 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe is worth the extra money....

Fiskars make two axes that may interest you as mentioned before. Both are 28in models, the Pro Splitting Axe for $40.00 available in most stores and the Super Splitting Axe for $45.00 only available online. Sears sells other smaller ones in the store too. They both have high rating but because of the relatively short handles, many people who are use to longer handle axes find them dangerous. Look at Amazon for reviews.
Go to Sears and look at the Pro Splitting model, pick it up, take it out of the holder and get a "feel" for it.
They can both be had for a little less if you look.
Here is a link to both at Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07139554000P?keyword=fiskars+axe

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07183520000P?mv=rr

My neighbor gave me an old axe head and put a 36 inc handel on it and its the best one. I have also bought other axes off of e-bay and had good luck on them too.I like the old axes the best.Good luck in your finding.

The best axe is a sharp one. :clap:

As mentioned up in the thread, Kelly sold out to True, as I recall, quite a number of years ago.

I have a Collins felling axe, it's also good, IMO.

Whatever you get, keep it sharp, because a dull axe can be a real danger.

I like to cruise the old farm auctions. Sometimes you can get a whole bucket full of ax heads for 5 bucks. I collect double blade axes and have some nice ones that I've gotten free or for a couple bucks. My pets are in mint condition. Some of them are American Beauty, Plumb, True Temper Kelly Perfect, even an old Craftsman, and a Collins. I kinda abuse them because I use them for throwing, Althoug I did split a half cord of nice straight Oak with the Craftsman a couple weeks ago because all of my spliting axes and mauls were some where on the wood pile under 3 ft of snow, Joe,

I just picked up this Husqvarna for around $70, not the cheapest but it did come with a great edge on it already and a nice sheath.
DSC00209.jpg

Back