What's a good camera?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carburetorless

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've got a pile of digital cameras, all but 1 of them work, except for that fact that the lens are screwed up, so I get lens error messages nearly every time I turn them on. Probably sawdust in there.

Anyone using or know of a good camera to use that is dust proof, takes good pics and vids, and has no problems?

I've looked at a Cannon Powershot SX400 and a Fujifilm XP80. The power point has better zoom and a somewhat sealed lens, Fujifilm is water proof to 50 ft. Anyone using either of these?

Thanks

I've got a pile of digital cameras, all but 1 of them work, except for that fact that the lens are screwed up, so I get lens error messages nearly every time I turn them on. Probably sawdust in there.

Anyone using or know of a good camera to use that is dust proof, takes good pics and vids, and has no problems?

I've looked at a Cannon Powershot SX400 and a Fujifilm XP80. The power point has better zoom and a somewhat sealed lens, Fujifilm is water proof to 50 ft. Anyone using either of these?

Thanks
I have a new powershot SX400 with 2 Xtra batteries. The batteries don't stay charged for very long, but all in all it does a pretty good job. I just don't know how to operate the lil gizmo buttons.

I've got an olympus tough, has a lense cover as the only moving part and the lense doesnt pop out. It's dust proof, water proof and impact resistant, I just wash it when it gets all crudded up. There's a whole bunch of similar cameras on the market, panasonic lumix is much the same but has GPS, better water proofness and costs about the same.

Honestly though I take most of my pics/vids with my iphone. It's in one of those lifeproof cases, so same deal you can swim with it, wash it when it gets dirty and dust has no chance of ever getting in there. I've got a couple pro DSLRs and lighting, and a time lapse camera, but they rarely get used. I might take the olympus if I think i might lose it since I dont want to lose my phone and the camera isn't worth much, but other than that its all done by phone.

I've got an olympus tough, has a lense cover as the only moving part and the lense doesnt pop out. It's dust proof, water proof and impact resistant, I just wash it when it gets all crudded up. There's a whole bunch of similar cameras on the market, panasonic lumix is much the same but has GPS, better water proofness and costs about the same.

Honestly though I take most of my pics/vids with my iphone. It's in one of those lifeproof cases, so same deal you can swim with it, wash it when it gets dirty and dust has no chance of ever getting in there. I've got a couple pro DSLRs and lighting, and a time lapse camera, but they rarely get used. I might take the olympus if I think i might lose it since I dont want to lose my phone and the camera isn't worth much, but other than that its all done by phone.

Which Tough do you have? There seems to be several of them.

Thanks

I've got an older one which has been replaced by a newer model. Its all stainless and kinda heavy. I think the panasonic is quite a bit lighter and seems to do very well in reviews. Mine is probably about 5 years old now and has been through hell. It has been used a lot in trees, swimming, sand, dropped, thrown etc... Still works fine and its kinda nice having a beater that doesn't own you anything. Took my girl out sailing on a racing catamaran last month and didn't want to take my phone cause it was choppy and blowing 15/18 knots. We got about as wet as you would wind surfing. Between sailing the boat I got a few nice pics. I wouldn't be that worried if I dropped the camera over the side, and unlike my phone the camera has a strap which helps.

Guess my first question would be is what do you plan to do with the camera besides take pics? ;)

I too have multiples of DLSR, point & shoot, video, etc...

From your list of features, I would highly recommend the upgraded version of my Panasonic Tough Camera, the newer version adds WiFi capabilities better sensor, and other features. I've taken it to ~50' below the surface on dives, takes great pictures and video, hasn't frozen on the snow shoeing expeditions here in New England, and has survived being used by <5 year olds.

The new one is the Panasonic DCM-FT5. Check it out, good little unit.

Brian

Guess my first question would be is what do you plan to do with the camera besides take pics? ;)

I too have multiples of DLSR, point & shoot, video, etc...

From your list of features, I would highly recommend the upgraded version of my Panasonic Tough Camera, the newer version adds WiFi capabilities better sensor, and other features. I've taken it to ~50' below the surface on dives, takes great pictures and video, hasn't frozen on the snow shoeing expeditions here in New England, and has survived being used by <5 year olds.

The new one is the Panasonic DCM-FT5. Check it out, good little unit.

Brian

I want something I can use anywhere. I'm in sawdust a lot, and other things that kill lenses, so it needs to be dust proof. I hunt and fish too, so it needs to be water proof. I drop things sometimes, so it needs to be drop proof. The biggest problem I've had with cams is from putting them in my pocket while I'm working, pocket full of saw dust and a cam don't mix.

I've been looking at some of the Panasonics, about ready to pull the trigger on one. The DCM FT5 is the one I'm looking at.

Seems a bargain at the price. I think I paid more than double that for my Olympus 5 years ago when they first came out. They've come down a lot on price. I'm pretty happy with how long it's lasted though. If I were to bust it or lose it is go for that Panasonic for sure. Looks lighter and easier to carry/handle

I don't think you would have any issues with the Panasonic DCM-FT5. It actually is the wifes and she is hard on it and it continues to function flawlessly. As I previously stated, I've had it down to ~50' below ocean surface, it's dust proof, shock proof, etc, it really is an awesome little camera.

Maybe it's time to think about a GoPro Hero 3 or 4 with a protective case?
And you can control them with a cell phone!

Scott (think outside of the box) B

i t

Thanks
i took this video with a sony hdr- as100v action cam that was origanally $300 but it was open box discounted to 99$

I like the Rope Boss. I've already cut mine up for lanyards, climbing on Poison Ivy and Blue Streak now, gotta get me another hank of Rope Boss, it's smooth and stays round.

I ended up getting an Olympus Stylus Tough TG-830. I got it on clearance, plus a case for a little less than what it normally sells for.

Haven't had time to do a lot with it, but it seems easy enough to use, and has some interesting modes. If it's as tough as it's supposed to be it'll be great for what I'm going to use it for.

I'll post a vid and some pics later.

Back