whats a good sized axe to drive wedges with

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't fall that many trees a year like most here

But I like a short handle for falling trees 3 pounder

002-8.jpg

Thanks for the input. Got a few double bits. ..ill try to find me a good axe head and hand pick me out a handle or make one

i use a 4 1/4 arveka. best axe in the world. i've tried lots but nothing beats that axe to me. if you can find one buy it. then if you don't like it i will buy it off you for more then you paid. i have looked all over out here for another one and can't find them anywhere anymore. they might not be made anymore :msp_sad:

What length handle do you guys recomend? I'm looking to pick up and old axe head in the 3 1/2 to 5lb range to clean up and rehandle for a wedge driver/kindling splitter.

I'm looking to use it for plastic felling wedges and for splitting small pieces of wood for camp fires and to feed my smoker.

Last edited:
i use a 4 1/4 arveka. best axe in the world. i've tried lots but nothing beats that axe to me. if you can find one buy it. then if you don't like it i will buy it off you for more then you paid. i have looked all over out here for another one and can't find them anywhere anymore. they might not be made anymore :msp_sad:

I've got access to plenty of new 4 1/2 pounders arvekas over here :)

PM sent

Since the OP did not say if he is driving plastic falling wedges or metal splitting wedges then there are two answers. Splitting wedges are driven with a maul or a sledge. The weight is up to you but 8-12 pounds is normal. I have a 20lb sledge that is a beast. The weight not the force of the swing is what (should) do the work.

Plastic falling wedges can be driven with a 3-6 pound axe with a good smooth and flat pole. The best all around is a 5lb head on a 28" helve. Bailey's and Madsen's both sell good quality axes and poor quality axes. The choice is yours. BTW an axe for driving wedges doesn't cross over into other tasks very well.

i thinking for plactic wedges i going to use my 28oz eastwing framing hammer,and keep it on my belt in my hammer belt holder.

To drive plastic felling wedges I use a 28.5" boys axe with I believe a 3lb head. Its small and easy to carry, drives wedges well and I use it to cut small limbs and saplings.

To drive plastic felling wedges I use a 28.5" boys axe with I believe a 3lb head. Its small and easy to carry, drives wedges well and I use it to cut small limbs and saplings.

A boys' axe has a 2 1/4 lb head. It is really to light to drive wedges especially bigger wedges but it is better than nothing. I have a 25" bar scabbard that carries a boys axe that is designed for wildland firefighting.

Not enough weight, the head is the wrong shape and will damage your wedges, and no edge to chop bark or suckers. Poor choice.

I would recommend something with no shorter than 24" handle, 32oz. An axe is really the way to go, I agree with 2dogs.

A boys' axe has a 2 1/4 lb head. It is really to light to drive wedges especially bigger wedges but it is better than nothing. I have a 25" bar scabbard that carries a boys axe that is designed for wildland firefighting.

I have no issues driving large wedges in with a boys axe, you just need to swing it like a man. I hate carrying too much heavy gear with me. The boys axe is light, short and effective for me. I would recommend it to anyone, a full size handle and heavier head gets annoying to carry for 8-9 hours when I am also carrying an ms460 with 24 bar, helmet, gloves, wedges, a few tools, knife, cell phone or walkie. It gets to be a lot of stuff and a lot of weight.

I have no issues driving large wedges in with a boys axe, you just need to swing it like a man. I hate carrying too much heavy gear with me. The boys axe is light, short and effective for me. I would recommend it to anyone, a full size handle and heavier head gets annoying to carry for 8-9 hours when I am also carrying an ms460 with 24 bar, helmet, gloves, wedges, a few tools, knife, cell phone or walkie. It gets to be a lot of stuff and a lot of weight.

And gas can, first aid kit, spare chain, file, carb screwdriver, etc. I started out many years ago with a boys' axe but quit using an axe that light in our manly western trees. Your turn...

And gas can, first aid kit, spare chain, file, carb screwdriver, etc. I started out many years ago with a boys' axe but quit using an axe that light in our manly western trees. Your turn...

Understood, glad a heavier axe works well for you. I like a smaller one for driving wedges, but good news is we can both use whatever works best for us.

The trees you fell are likely larger than what I am used to, so that may be a relevant factor. Most of what I am felling is 22"-36", so nothing to large. I was not saying you don't know how to swing an axe, rather that if using a smaller axe you need to swing it with some speed. Enjoy your larger axe and I will enjoy my small one. :rock:

Understood, glad a heavier axe works well for you. I like a smaller one for driving wedges, but good news is we can both use whatever works best for us.

The trees you fell are likely larger than what I am used to, so that may be a relevant factor. Most of what I am felling is 22"-36", so nothing to large. I was not saying you don't know how to swing an axe, rather that if using a smaller axe you need to swing it with some speed. Enjoy your larger axe and I will enjoy my small one. :rock:

Yes I am happy that mine is bigger. My axe I mean.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back