whats a good sized axe to drive wedges with

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not enough weight, the head is the wrong shape and will damage your wedges, and no edge to chop bark or suckers. Poor choice.

ummm.you maybe right,i maybe wrong,but i will still have to try it:msp_razz:

I bought a boys axe to try and it was too light for me. I use a council american felling axe (i think its 6 pounds). there are still times when the trees sit back on the wedges when you have to swing like crazy and they still wont drive any further.

Using an axe to drive steel wedges will distort the handle socket in the axe head. The metal around the handle socket is rather thin and buckles outward under the strain. Not sure if the non-metallic wedges have the same problem effect.
I recall when all we had was a two-man crosscut saw-- plain back with no teeth on the back. Felling wedges were steel, the same ones used for splitting. The slightest pinching of the saw indicated the need for wedges. With the advent of chainsaws, the earliest felling wedges I remember were aluminum.

Plastic/aluminium/magnesium wedges will not give you any poll deformation regardless of how hard you hit , kinda like paper , scissor , rock ..........Steel is harder than the three of them .
All bets are off if any of the above are made in China .

Plastic/aluminium/magnesium wedges will not give you any poll deformation regardless of how hard you hit , kinda like paper , scissor , rock ..........Steel is harder than the three of them .
All bets are off if any of the above are made in China .

How about the North Korean nuclear wedges?

To drive plastic felling wedges I use a 28.5" boys axe with I believe a 3lb head. Its small and easy to carry, drives wedges well and I use it to cut small limbs and saplings.
What do you think about Hultafors 1.5kg ( 3lbs ) felling ax as plastic wedge banger, greeting from Ireland

drop a splitting maul on splitting wedge, on plastic wedge I use a roofing hammer, the head is a little smaller than a hatchet and you can still detach small limbs

Latest posts

Back