What's a good trimmer for a hard use homeowner on a budget?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand but I don't think you will get a long life out of the trimmer doing what you are talking about. I would buy something well under budget and start saving for a bigger unit. I would use this for most work, not as hard a metal blade on the unit and will cut a lot: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/husqvarna/578449101 Or the brand equivalent for what trimmer you buy.

Gents, I'm at a roughly $250 budget, sorry.
It always happens--recommendations immediately have you jumping to the biggest and most expensive!!

Back to your original post, you might just give the Husqvarna 128 a try and if it doesn't hold up, give the warranty a try--not heard of a lot of success with warranties but sometomes you just don't have much choice! Good luck!

7de9be8e82aa955f7a67b6042584ec66.jpg

Got some more brush cleared while I'm waiting for the grass to dry enough to mow. About to go chop it up now

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Where are you located?

Trying to figure shipping costs....

I may have located a good used fs250 for ya
That's a good man right there wanting you to have a good piece of equipment, actually a beast of a weedeater, and still be in your budget

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Gents, I'm at a roughly $250 budget, sorry.
Used Redmax 26xx series or a new midline Echo like the 230 series. The 26xx HT or high torque has a gear reduction head that makes great use of the engines power. All the Redmax stratos sip fuel and run forever. I have one that's 14 years old used commercially. That, is a lot of hours...

Sorry, bad news...

The craigslist seller flaked on communication and apparently had it sold to another guy before me...

I will keep my eyes open for more!

Avoid the jred cc2128 and husky/redmax equivalents. Cheaply made although they are the best value in an attachment series trimmer.

Look at dolly ms27, 245.4(hairy edge of t your budget), echo 230(over budget by a bit)

Echo 225 doesn't have the power for brush clearing.... Even light duty clearing.

some stihl and husky/jred/redmax trimmers are worth looking at to but the ones I know of are over your budget by a good margin

Avoid the jred cc2128 and husky/redmax equivalents. Cheaply made although they are the best value in an attachment series trimmer.

Look at dolly ms27, 245.4(hairy edge of t your budget), echo 230(over budget by a bit)

Echo 225 doesn't have the power for brush clearing.... Even light duty clearing.

some stihl and husky/jred/redmax trimmers are worth looking at to but the ones I know of are over your budget by a good margin

Will do. Thanks for helping me out once again.

There's a pretty decent looking FS250R on eBay.com with a couple days to run currently at $120 that may be worth watching, sounds like he's serviced it recently:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-FS-250R-TRIMMER-BRUSHCUTTER-/142001846481?nav=SEARCH
Last pic looks like the powerhead is twisted on the drive tube .... my eBay fs80 was like that no big deal if it hasent been turned allreaddy ..... check your mounting screw and clamp frequently especially if your running heavy blades and stuffs what did mine in was a heavy aluminum thing that took the precut line

@LittleLebowski Did you ever make a purchase? I'm in the same boat ($$ wise), and I'm also looking at both the Husky 128LD and what appears to be its cousin, the PoulanPro PP28LD ($159). Mostly for small sapling removal.

@LittleLebowski Did you ever make a purchase? I'm in the same boat ($$ wise), and I'm also looking at both the Husky 128LD and what appears to be its cousin, the PoulanPro PP28LD ($159). Mostly for small sapling removal.

I ended up getting this grass whip and quite like it but someday, I would like to get a real powered trimmer. I was not aware that the Husqvarna has a Poulan sibling, that's good to know. I was honing in on Echo trimmers before I decided to try the grass whip.

Back