What's a good trimmer for a hard use homeowner on a budget?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used the sling blades with metal around edge of blade (Lowes) with good results in taming a jungle of vines and small brush (anything over 1/4 inch beats them up)! I'm a Husqvarna trimmer fan--in my opinion, the Husky 223L is great--good balance of power and weight. $249 plus tax!! The 128 is good, but a bit heavy!

I own a yard service. I use stihl for my trimmers as most guys do around here even the echo guys will have a fs90r usually for the over grown stuff. I have used echo and they are good trimmers and priced right so don't be afraid to go with one especially since you can get a pro trimmer for around your budget of 250.

I use and prefer stihl they are torque monsters and never bog down regardless of the grass. I use a fs90r for the majority of my trimming tons of power and can still be delicate when needed but you have to pay close attention because it wants to eat!

The other trimmers I run are the fs130r which is literally a lawn mower on a stick the power is unreal. I use those primarily for ditches and taming fields. The price point for the fs90r is 330 and the fs130r is 400. Both above what you were looking to spend but if you can find a used one don't be afraid I run the snot out of mine 5 days a weeks and they have had no issues third season running the stihls.

I own a yard service. I use stihl for my trimmers as most guys do around here even the echo guys will have a fs90r usually for the over grown stuff. I have used echo and they are good trimmers and priced right so don't be afraid to go with one especially since you can get a pro trimmer for around your budget of 250.

I use and prefer stihl they are torque monsters and never bog down regardless of the grass. I use a fs90r for the majority of my trimming tons of power and can still be delicate when needed but you have to pay close attention because it wants to eat!

The other trimmers I run are the fs130r which is literally a lawn mower on a stick the power is unreal. I use those primarily for ditches and taming fields. The price point for the fs90r is 330 and the fs130r is 400. Both above what you were looking to spend but if you can find a used one don't be afraid I run the snot out of mine 5 days a weeks and they have had no issues third season running the stihls.
I can definitely say that the fr130r is a beast my dad's (when it was running) would cut circles around my fs80 and my fs80 isn't a slouch. I know most people say full throttle for 2 strokes but I went through way too much string at full I usually kept it at half with one of those and still didn't have trouble cutting anything. I hope to get it running soon to put my brush cutter blade on it permanently. Dad dropped it off the trailer going down the road and he out a new carb on it cranked it once and it ran for a few seconds and won't crank again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is as rugged as mine gets [emoji17]
1c17542e155bc4ed2943fe1301726ce9.jpg

I do want a bicycle handled stihl eventually though

Don't sell yourself short there, those tri blades are awesome. I was also going to recommend the stihl fs90r, I am very hard on mine, and it just eats it up. I love mine.

Don't sell yourself short there, those tri blades are awesome. I was also going to recommend the stihl fs90r, I am very hard on mine, and it just eats it up. I love mine.
Yup I kinda have all three brands, but have way more time with stihl. If they weren't so dang high for pro model chainsaws my saws would probably be orange and cream as well. Just can't justify the price when my husqvarna 51 and echo cs590 have way better build quality for a much better price even than the plastic stihls. Still have not seen another weedeater though that takes the abuse and market share of than stihls though.

I wish that the Stihls had accessible pricing.
Yeah that's why I recommend echo if stihl is too expensive, can't beat the warranty and they are the only other brand I see on trailers that get used everyday. Plus better specs for the price vs stihl

Edit: well maybe not that much better specs if any, but they do seem to be cheaper for the specs and a 5 year warranty

1c17542e155bc4ed2943fe1301726ce9.jpg

Hello tpence2177: I've had one of those tri-blades for years. Never used it. What is it best suited for ?

Hello tpence2177: I've had one of those tri-blades for years. Never used it. What is it best suited for ?
Only used it a few times, but so far I haven't had any trouble cutting through 3/4 inch to an inch saplings and under to brush, bushes, to tall grass. If you sink it deep into tall grass it will wrap around so far I kinda just tap it with the edge let it lay over and move to next area and I don't have any clogging wrapping or anything. I've used it for like an hour or more and it hasn't even peeled the paint but for a tiny tip of the leading edge. Once it gets dull it can be sharpened 8 times. I've kept the box because it shows you even lines to sharpen it to keep it balanced.

I've used the sling blades with metal around edge of blade (Lowes) with good results in taming a jungle of vines and small brush (anything over 1/4 inch beats them up)! I'm a Husqvarna trimmer fan--in my opinion, the Husky 223L is great--good balance of power and weight. $249 plus tax!! The 128 is good, but a bit heavy!

I see reports online of the 223L not accepting aftermarket heads?

An fs90 sells for $350 in the states? They're more like £500 so about $750 at my local dealer in the uk! You definitely can get more bang for your buck then!

How do they stand up compared to the larger clearing saws?

Honestly if you think those three point brush knives are good, a Stihl shredding blade will blow you away! Although I gather they're difficult to source in the USA for some reason?

image.jpeg

I have both but I think the shredder is better for most things I'd want a brush knife for.

What kind of things do you anticipate you'll be trimming?

That looks interesting, yeah apparently they aren't here in the States really. I haven't seen one of those at all. Looks more like a traditional lawnmower blade.

Yeah that's why I recommend echo if stihl is too expensive, can't beat the warranty and they are the only other brand I see on trailers that get used everyday. Plus better specs for the price vs stihl

Edit: well maybe not that much better specs if any, but they do seem to be cheaper for the specs and a 5 year warranty

all my trimmers are Echos... by choice! had stihl only saws for years, but now really like my Echo CS-271T and my big boy Echo pole saw... I think the Echo product line offers excellent economic utility and high performance; reliability... if properly cared for. :)

all my trimmers are Echos... by choice! had stihl only saws for years, but now really like my Echo CS-271T and my big boy Echo pole saw... I think the Echo product line offers excellent economic utility and high performance; reliability... if properly cared for. :)
I've only put a few tanks through my cs590, but I have no questions about its quality if I do my part maintenance wise. I liken it to my Toyota Camry and my Nissan hard body. They may not be the fanciest or the most powerful or whatever way you want a rate a car, but they is no question about reliability. Anything Japanese I have ever bought (older Nissan, newer Toyota, or Honda, small Kawasaki engines) I have never been disappointed with. Don't think that will start with echo. If people that use them everyday to earn their living with use either echo or stihl, then a homeowner should have no trouble getting 10+ years with proper maintenance.

I use mine a lot, mostly cutting back hedges and honeysuckle bushes, they are not well suited in high weeds as tp said, they are not nice on nature either, chopped up a frog once, poor fellar, but it was a quick death.

I use mine a lot, mostly cutting back hedges and honeysuckle bushes, they are not well suited in high weeds as tp said, they are not nice on nature either, chopped up a frog once, poor fellar, but it was a quick death.

Funny you say that, actually only a week ago I was cutting back a hedge with a shredder blade on and I unknowingly hit a rabbit- was a horrible sight. Wrung its neck pretty sharpish. Was amazed it had stayed there with all the noise, could have had mixy I suppose.

Latest posts

Back