What's an 028 super worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocando1945

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A friend of mine has used both my 028 super's (both have been tuned at the local Stihl shop) and says they are dogs. Neither will run with my 026 that I bought new in 1992. He's offered to sell me his 028 super (he claims its an 028 magnum) which he had completely rebuilt at the same shop a couple of years ago (when they had a real saw tech) and has used very little since. He uses a 575 Husky for firewood and a 038 Magnum II for anything serious. He'll let me use his 028 to see if I like it. I'm sure I will. Assuming the saw is right, what is it worth? Bear in mine he is a friend and would give me the saw if I asked for it.

Check the compression and piston skirt.. if o.k. and it's in decent shape. $100-200 is about right, between friends. We sell them for a lot more, but that's "retail with a warranty".

What's wrong with your 28S's?

I bought mine for about $220. It was dirty, need some an air filter, plug, some clutch work and a general tune-up when I got it. I bought it with a decent 20" bar and an abused Carlton chain. It has strong compression and is still a great saw.

028 super

Here check this one out. Very clean. Its mine and i have her listed on scare bay. This one also has a brand new top end ( cylinder kit. ) Not advertising just wanted you to see. One just went for about 300 Usd Make ya wonder if they have more money than brains, but i guess its worth more to one person than to someone else. Its comes down to how bad do you want it?

Doc

Last edited:
Here check this one out. Very clean. Its mine and i have her listed on scare bay. Not advertising just wanted you to see. One just went for about 300 Usd Make ya wonder if they have more money than brains, but i guess its worth more to one person than to someone else. Its comes down to how bad do you want it?

Doc

Doc, that saw is in very nice condition. If the inside is as good as the outside, that saw is worth 300$ imo, ebay or not.
It would go easy for that in europe, but here saws are more expensive anyway.:deadhorse:

028 S

Hey Belgian. That saw has a brand new top end as well. The inside is certainly as clean as the outside.Lol.

Then it's worth every penny... Look what a new 026 costs... and it's definitely comparable. Looked after, it will still be running in another 20 years.

028 super

Thanks Lake. I am certainly hopeing for around the $300 USD figure anyway. The saw operates great. I just don't need it i. I also have an 026 and 025 which i'm keeping and have another 026 case. I am hopeing to get the parts for, to rebuild. I am just happiest when i am rebuilding a saw, once finished i want to move on to the next one.

Doc

those 028's just run forever,my dad bought on in the 80's and the saw wore him out.
still have it as a backup,use it once in a while,stills cuts and runs well.

028 super's worth

Actually, I carried one of these saws to a shop (not Stihl) and it is running great. The other saw ran great before I put a new air filter on it . It was hard to start after that, you had to choke it even when it was hot, and it ran so so. I carried it to the Stihl dealer and they put solid state on it, and it started fine but still ran so so. Now that the weather is colder its impossible to start, bur will start on 1 or 2 pulls when its warm and still runs so so.
Thanks for the info on the air filter, but I think I'll take it the other saw shop.Their tech was the Stihl tech and rebuilt the 028 super that I was asking about a fair price for. I also took a 026 to the Stihl shop that also wouldn't start when I got it back. The other shop has it running great too. I have no problem paying for repair work. (My friend thinks they are jerking my chain because neither saw was bought there.)

How about an 029??

From the sounds of others comments a clean 028 would be worth $140 ?? True?? How about a 029?? He wants $75 for it but it doesn't run. He said it ran fine last year when he put it up but took it out this year and it won't start. Wanted to get others opinions. Thanks

From the sounds of others comments a clean 028 would be worth $140 ?? True?? How about a 029?? He wants $75 for it but it doesn't run. He said it ran fine last year when he put it up but took it out this year and it won't start. Wanted to get others opinions. Thanks
My opinion? Scoop it now!! Should be worth at least that in parts alone!
:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back