whats best sealant for crankcase being split ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the thread I was looking for. Do y'all (or "you's guys") generally use something case gaskets or just install dry? I have some of the Loctite and Yamabond, I think (have to check the garage) and some Indian Head shellac, but most of it leaked out of the bottle when shipping.

Another way of asking the question - if you do a base gasket delete, are you using the same type of sealant on the cylinder base as you use on the case?

Thanks

Scott

Theoretically, if you use a gasket you shouldn't need sealant- I use sealant all the time, just a light coating of red permatex for me.
I also use copper coat spray in select areas.

I use carburetor spray on a rag and clean the surfaces good. Then put a light coat of Yamabond 4 on both sides and stick together example Stihl MS290. If I split the case and put back together with a gasket then I put a very thing coat on both sides with the gasket in between. (example I did a Stihl 024 yeasterday). I guess I am lucky, but I have not done one yet that didn't pass a pressure test.

Yamabond in my 2 cents very very good. For me it depends on the situation. sometimes I make my own gaskets and some time not. If I think there is a chance it will come apart will only seal one side, but chainsaw motors are usually done for twenty years. Thanks

I was going to use sealall.gas and oil is not suppose to break it down .its used mainly on gas tanks leaks .just have to use care in applying it.can be messy.using it on. Husqvarna 40 saw.i put new bearings and seals in the saw

Latest posts

Back