Best methods for splitting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cndfirewood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am currently using 4 lb greenworks splitting wedges and a 4 lb DeWalt short sledgehammer. Any recommendations? (Either with what I have or other options that may be better)
I do not want to use a gas powered splitter.

A diesel powered splitter with lift arm and table would be best...
If you want manual labor suggestion then first you need to decide what weight head you can swing for a few hours at a time and easily split the species of wood you deal with. These guys in here rave over the fiskers products. I prefer the European made mauls myself

What are you splitting? How much are you splitting?
How much of a rush are you in? Are you in decent shape?

I one hand a 2lb axe for kindling, use a fiskars for most blocks, and 6 and 8lb mauls for giant hard maple rounds.. That’s when I’m not using one of the gas splitters.There are smaller electric splitters available too.
One thing I’ve never used is a wedge and sledge combo.

I also used a 6# maul for 40+ years 'til I got a Fiskars X27 a couple years ago. Haven't touched the maul since. For the rare pieces the Fiskars can't split (I'm splitting mostly red oak) I have a couple wedges and a long-handled 8# sledge.

I used a Husky small splitting axe for the longest time. It worked very well and still has a place but I upgraded to a Husky S2800. I absolutely love it and in my hand, I prefer it over the Fiskar.

I received the council tool 5 pound splitting axe last year - great tool if you want a wood handled axe. My advice is that you will have to try some things out for your style, and wood types. My second piece of advice is, if you know you are hand splitting, you can make your life easier when you cut the tree into rounds with your chainsaw. I will create as many straight grained, no knot pieces as possible. good luck

Some more ,

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpeg
    IMG_1272.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1212.jpeg
    IMG_1212.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
  • IMG_1039.jpeg
    IMG_1039.jpeg
  • IMG_0924.jpeg
    IMG_0924.jpeg
  • IMG_0923.jpeg
    IMG_0923.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
What are you splitting? How much are you splitting?
How much of a rush are you in? Are you in decent shape?

I one hand a 2lb axe for kindling, use a fiskars for most blocks, and 6 and 8lb mauls for giant hard maple rounds.. That’s when I’m not using one of the gas splitters.There are smaller electric splitters available too.
One thing I’ve never used is a wedge and sledge combo.
Mostly oak, some mesquite and pecan, and occasionally other hardwood.
Planning on splitting at least 30 cords this season. Not really in a rush, but looking to be more efficient
And in decent shape, but not trying to ruin my body getting it done

Mostly oak, some mesquite and pecan, and occasionally other hardwood.
Planning on splitting at least 30 cords this season. Not really in a rush, but looking to be more efficient
And in decent shape, but not trying to ruin my body getting it done
I'd consider hand splitting 30 cords in a season an excellent way to ruin one's body.

Splitting wood with an axe is hard on your body and also quite dangerous once you get tired. I hurt my foot once quite bad while splitting and have given the axe a nice retirement spot in the attick since then.
Got myself a small size 6Ton mobile hydraulic splitter driven by electric motor, and never looked back. The stubborn pieces face the chainsaw,....easypeacy.

I'd consider hand splitting 30 cords in a season an excellent way to ruin one's body.
I try to do about 1/3 of a cord per day. An hour in the morning before other work, and an hour or two when I get home. (more of less until it gets dark)
Definitely not trying to hand split all day. Screw that 😂

Back