whats better to pull trailer with??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like a killer truck... I'd chose std tranny over auto anyday.

What if you could have the medium duty Aisin? Its supposed to be stronger than the Allison. I have been looking for information on weather it would work in my 05 Dodge. Then there is the wait to find a crashed truck to buy one out of. My auto has worked fine pulling heavy loads and been through the mountains with it but when the time comes and it will I would like to go back in with the Aisin.

You had better snag that truck! I have an 03' with the H.O. Cummins and the 6 speed. I love it. The mileage has continued to get better and now averages 22mpg if I keep my foot out of it. I once got 28, but had to drive at 45mph at 1500 rpm to achieve that. The distance I drove to get that was 31 miles. The engine didn't mind 1500 rpm at all. The six speed is noisy at low speed/rpm, but with the massive gear sets contained it is expected. I haul a lot of hay on a 20' gn....usually my GCVW is weighed at 18K to almost 20k. Truck and trailer is 12500. I hauled a load of 10 round bales this morning, the bales average 700 per and I had the cruise set at 62mph on U.S 20 with a lot of throttle left over.
I also have an 86 IHC S1600 dump truck with a non-turbo'd 7.3, 5+2 tranny and rear end. I can tell you from experience that the V-8 diesels don't get along with manual tranny's. If that truck didn't have the 2spd. rear I'd still be hauling my first load of dirt! It is in it's comfort zone at 2200 to 2500 rpm. The Cummins is at home anywhere between just off idle to 2000, quite a wide range. V-8's and auto trannys on the other hand do well together as the auto can take advantage of the rpms where the manuals clutch hates it.
Good luck, JJ

I'd still chose standard tranny over the excellent Aisin tranny. one can easily achieve a bullet proof auto tranny.... all it takes is $$$... it's not unusual for diesel racers to spend $6k+ on an auto tranny.

vs $1k range for a ceramic clutch setup.... besides costs difference to make a bombproof tranny. there's functional differences. especially driving in town. one can easily control rpm's at low speeds. then factor in no slippage at all speeds vs stock torque converter constant slip.

this equal fuel mileage difference... when I changed to a std tranny with essentially the same 12v cummins. mileage went up by 5+ mpg for in town driving.

for top end with auto tranny locked out... makes little difference, with auto having a slight edge.

if you pull with a cummins diesel and auto tranny... keep your rpm's up. max torque is achieved at aprox. 1600 rpm...this doesn't allow transmission to spin fast enough to generate max internal pressures.

when pulling a large load with auto's try to keep rpm over 2k

What if you could have the medium duty Aisin? Its supposed to be stronger than the Allison. I have been looking for information on weather it would work in my 05 Dodge. Then there is the wait to find a crashed truck to buy one out of. My auto has worked fine pulling heavy loads and been through the mountains with it but when the time comes and it will I would like to go back in with the Aisin.

in my opinion a manual gearbox. as long as they have lube and is kept clean, you'll have to try mighty hard to bring it down..

possible problems for breakdown is tremendously cut down, torque converter, no need to keep fluid cool, no pumps, no filters to clog, no hydraulic pressure to depend on, no electronic sensors, one way clutches, the list continues...

:agree2: He is 100% correct I dont care what auto you have the manual is way better. The allison is good but you take any auto trans made and put a load on it and get on soft ground or get stuck or pull it to hard on a hot day ,it only takes once of getting it to hot and its toast! A manual if you drive it correctly is bullet proof they dont get hot because they are are a direct hook up through the clutch not a fluid connection like an auto.
The diesels have to much torque and are h*** on autos. Also a clutch is cheap compared to a auto rebuild.

Well think of it this way, how many over the road semi tractors have automatic transmissions? Not many! I personally prefer the manual. I have one of the first powerstrokes, a 94.5 model year with the 5 speed. BUT, if you don't know how to handle a clutch and a manual transmission you are better off with the auto in my opinion.

I'm in the market for a Ford F250... 2004 Powerstrokes seem to be a dime a dozen around here!

Did Ford ever get the issues worked out with the 2003-2005 models? Are they now reliable? Or did they just keep throwing the same defective parts at them when they broke?

Would any of you guys get a 2004-2005 powerstroke today? Or should I keep on looking?

Lots of deals on 2004 Powerstrokes.

And actually, I'm open to any of the 3 brands... any years of GM Duramax or Dodge/Cummins to avoid?

Thanks for any and all advice you guys can give!

Last edited:
I have never owned one but for cheap enough I would. My grandpa has one that has been pretty good except for being flashed by the dealer and losing some mileage.

I'm in the market for a Ford F250... 2004 Powerstrokes seem to be a dime a dozen around here!

Did Ford ever get the issues worked out with the 2003-2005 models? Are they now reliable? Or did they just keep throwing the same defective parts at them when they broke?

Would any of you guys get a 2004-2005 powerstroke today? Or should I keep on looking?

Lots of deals on 2004 Powerstrokes.

And actually, I'm open to any of the 3 brands... any years of GM Duramax or Dodge/Cummins to avoid?

Thanks for any and all advice you guys can give!

I owned a 2005 F350 DRW up until earlier this year. Bought it new off the lot for hauling cars. It put a lot of power to the ground, was fast, nice big cab, comfy high back seats. Under the hood there wasn't room for anything more. I did like the oil filter being located top dead center of the engine. Mine lost an oil pump under warranty, then a second because the service tech goofed the install on the first. That was around 30k miles or so. At 160k miles it lost a head gasket. $2100 to repair it at a local shop. I passed on the repair and sold it as is. That truck had already made me a lot of money. My idea was that by repairing it I was lighting the fuse on it to fail again. The other engine gremlins were liable to appear in the future as well. EGR cooler / valve was perhaps the next most likely thing. Ended up going back to the old reliable Cummins 12v trucks. Easy to work on, very reliable. I'll run them as long as I can get em.

I had a 97 Powerstroke a few years ago. It started running rough, and sounding like it might be sucking air in the fuel system. I popped the hood and started looking around, when I couldn't find an injector pump I knew I was in trouble. :laugh:

Andy

manual vs. automatic

6 vs. half dozen

both require slightly different driving styles, but both work well.

If you have a question regarding the two, you should probably go with the automatic.

I make a living driving 6 speed powerstroke(all of the powerstrokes from '97-09) well rigs through the sandhills of Nebraska, and Im not talking highways....im talking trailroads.

The ford autos are notorius for not holding up to a diesel pulling heavy loads.
I can name 10-15 within 5 min of home , powerstrokes that pulled heavy loads
,gooseneck cattle trailers, that are on their 2nd third or 4th trans.

Go with a manual, the autos are fine for driving miss daisy!

I've been reading allot of forums on diesels and it says that power-strokes don't even come close to Cummins fuel millage, I called a local transmission shop to see the difference in rebuild cost and autos for a 3/4 ton truck run between $2,500 and $3,000 and a standard between $800 and $1,500 so to me it's no brain-er.

Last edited:
I've been reading allot of forums on diesels and it says that power-strokes don't even come close to Cummings fuel millage, I called a local transmission shop to see the difference in rebuild cost and autos for a 3/4 ton truck run between $2,500 and $3,000 and a standard between $800 and $1,500 so to me it's no brain-er.

My CTD 2500 4WD 5spd went to Memphis and back last month and got an honest 24mpg on the highway. My CTD 3500 DRW 5spd will haul a 15k pound load of cars into the city and return to the yard averaging 16mpg on country roads with stop and goes. My 2005 F350 6.0L Auto got a flat 10mpg at best no matter what.

My CTD 2500 4WD 5spd went to Memphis and back last month and got an honest 24mpg on the highway. My CTD 3500 DRW 5spd will haul a 15k pound load of cars into the city and return to the yard averaging 16mpg on country roads with stop and goes. My 2005 F350 6.0L Auto got a flat 10mpg at best no matter what.

are you ctd's power chiped for fuel millage???

When I'm on the road I see so many Dodges pulling fifth wheels with cars on the back. I see work trucks that are mostly Fords. I see GMC that do a little of everything. I don't know why. I think Dodge gets the nod for many is cause easy to find manuals.

Cummins

I've been reading allot of forums on diesels and it says that power-strokes don't even come close to Cummings fuel millage, I called a local transmission shop to see the difference in rebuild cost and autos for a 3/4 ton truck run between $2,500 and $3,000 and a standard between $800 and $1,500 so to me it's no brain-er.

What so hard about Cummins? There's no "ings" on the end, and there never has been.

Latest posts

Back