What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp. I did the bird.

This is the recipe I followed.

http://howtobbqright.com/2014/11/22/how-to-smoke-a-turkey/

I picked up the turkey Saturday. All I could find in the small weight range was frozen. So, I got an 11lb one.

It went into the fridge as soon as I got home Saturday.

Forward to Tuesday night. Turkey was thawed and I decided to get the brining process going since I was going to be doing it for 24hrs.

In the brine and outside to keep cold.

41CFB168-9F7A-4C76-97EF-1BA7CBED36F6_zps3btdjvms.jpg

441AD792-6011-4E23-BC0E-6E8BC19DEB0B_zpsrbhoj0f0.jpg

I pulled the turkey out yesterday afternoon and begun phase 2.

Aaaaaaaand this is where my panic began to set in in. Turkey was an awesome grey color. Oh poop. I coined it the "Bird of Death."

I mixed a cocktail to get my wits and went and told the neighbors I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Bird of Death.

B6F6EB12-060A-41EC-B332-AC60C1D4297C_zpsjr45wwsl.jpg

All rubbed, injected, and trussed up to sit in the fridge over night.

9FD2DF5B-7E44-4ECB-B114-F99BF87AE542_zps9jnvfuki.jpg

Started the grill at 0730 this morning.

A8D266E0-F3BD-467C-9413-3A2ADAB47B77_zps09vyrsr4.jpg

Bird on a bit after 0800 with grill at 300 degrees.

B89F2B77-068D-44A5-8AA6-C1E0CFCD7105_zpsfsawa1tz.jpg

Every hour I spritzed it with an apple juice/worscheshire mix. I rotated it 180 degrees 1.5 hrs into it.

3.5 hrs later internal temps were 165-168. Pulled the turkey and let it rest.

Neighbor getting ready to commence carving.

685A2957-69BF-473A-847A-A31AADB5ADF7_zpswdpuzsuo.jpg

7A39E52A-FE0C-48F7-BAFB-933FCA2A86F8_zpssxc5y3ut.jpg

I asked him if he thought if it was dry. He started laughing and said it's the juiciest turkey he's ever carved.

The "Bird of Death" was a big hit. Everyone loved it.
Final product looks awesome. Was it an ingredient in the brine that caused the odd color?

Final product looks awesome. Was it an ingredient in the brine that caused the odd color?

The molasses is the only thing I can think of. You couldn't even see the turkey in the bucket except if it was near the top or just poking out.

I also lifted the skin from the meat before I brined it for when I added the rub directly on the meat under the skin. So, I think the brine got in there also.

The molasses is the only thing I can think of. You couldn't even see the turkey in the bucket except if it was near the top or just poking out.

I also lifted the skin from the meat before I brined it for when I added the rub directly on the meat under the skin. So, I think the brine got in there also.
Glad all went well. They bird looks perfect.
Brine is our friend!

I'd like this twice if I could.

Here's the finished product. An hour of smoke, then onto the grill. 20 minutes at 450, lowered the temp to 325 and finished. This is more done than I like rib roasts but we had a last minute guest who only eats beef med/well or well done. This was as close as I could get it. It was still pretty good.

image.jpg

Here's the finished product. An hour of smoke, then onto the grill. 20 minutes at 450, lowered the temp to 325 and finished. This is more done than I like rib roasts but we had a last minute guest who only eats beef med/well or well done. This was as close as I could get it. It was still pretty good.

View attachment 539162

That's awesome!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

This was the biggest pre cook preparation project I have done so far. I was nervous.

Yes it is.

You're doing things right. Proper preparation and attention to detail. Those are the keys to success.
Nervous is good. It means you care about what you're doing.
Now comes the fun part. Experimenting with different meats and methods. Stuff that you think is less than perfect will be better than anything the average guy will ever cook on a grill.

Glad all went well. They bird looks perfect.
Brine is our friend!

Ever since I tried brining pork chops I will never go back to the dry,tough mealy unbrined pork chops. Beer brines and pork are made for each other. I've also had outstanding results w homemade turkey brines and smoking with charcoal and hardwood chunks. Brines make it easy to cook great meats and it's about impossible to dry out brined meat, even if it is overcooked it is still moist and tender.

Welp. I did the bird.

This is the recipe I followed.

http://howtobbqright.com/2014/11/22/how-to-smoke-a-turkey/

I picked up the turkey Saturday. All I could find in the small weight range was frozen. So, I got an 11lb one.

It went into the fridge as soon as I got home Saturday.

Forward to Tuesday night. Turkey was thawed and I decided to get the brining process going since I was going to be doing it for 24hrs.

In the brine and outside to keep cold.

41CFB168-9F7A-4C76-97EF-1BA7CBED36F6_zps3btdjvms.jpg

441AD792-6011-4E23-BC0E-6E8BC19DEB0B_zpsrbhoj0f0.jpg

I pulled the turkey out yesterday afternoon and begun phase 2.

Aaaaaaaand this is where my panic began to set in in. Turkey was an awesome grey color. Oh poop. I coined it the "Bird of Death."

I mixed a cocktail to get my wits and went and told the neighbors I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Bird of Death.

B6F6EB12-060A-41EC-B332-AC60C1D4297C_zpsjr45wwsl.jpg

All rubbed, injected, and trussed up to sit in the fridge over night.

9FD2DF5B-7E44-4ECB-B114-F99BF87AE542_zps9jnvfuki.jpg

Started the grill at 0730 this morning.

A8D266E0-F3BD-467C-9413-3A2ADAB47B77_zps09vyrsr4.jpg

Bird on a bit after 0800 with grill at 300 degrees.

B89F2B77-068D-44A5-8AA6-C1E0CFCD7105_zpsfsawa1tz.jpg

Every hour I spritzed it with an apple juice/worscheshire mix. I rotated it 180 degrees 1.5 hrs into it.

3.5 hrs later internal temps were 165-168. Pulled the turkey and let it rest.

Neighbor getting ready to commence carving.

685A2957-69BF-473A-847A-A31AADB5ADF7_zpswdpuzsuo.jpg

7A39E52A-FE0C-48F7-BAFB-933FCA2A86F8_zpssxc5y3ut.jpg

I asked him if he thought if it was dry. He started laughing and said it's the juiciest turkey he's ever carved.

The "Bird of Death" was a big hit. Everyone loved it.

Hmm hmm good! Good job!

First cook on the new smoker. The old one blew a big fireball out the bottom, when I went to light it last week. The entire Burner unit and Venturi were toast. When I tried to pull it out to clean, the entire bottom fell apart.
I've got a 16lb bird going, as a trial run. So far the unit is maintaining a consistent 230f with both burners on low. It's 40f and windy out, so this should be a good test.
image.jpg

The trial run went very well. 16lb bird soaked in a basic brine for 18 hrs. Basic Poultry rub, 2.5 hrs at 230F, with heavy smoke. 5 hrs at 250F, with what ever smoke was left. Pulled off at an internal temp of 160F. Good flavor and perfect moisture content.
After sealing things up, I think this unit will do just fine.

image.jpg

The trial run went very well. 16lb bird soaked in a basic brine for 18 hrs. Basic Poultry rub, 2.5 hrs at 230F, with heavy smoke. 5 hrs at 250F, with what ever smoke was left. Pulled off at an internal temp of 160F. Good flavor and perfect moisture content.

View attachment 539792

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 539792

Looks good from here..

Venison steaks for the next 2 days lunches

Did them at 225 until internal hit 125 then pulled it off.

Cranked grill to 450 then 5 minutes a side.

4 minutes might of been a little better.

First time doing venison on the pellet grill.

Venison steaks for the next 2 days lunches

Did them at 225 until internal hit 125 then pulled it off.

Cranked grill to 450 then 5 minutes a side.

4 minutes might of been a little better.

First time doing venison on the pellet grill.
Outstanding!

Outstanding!

Thanks!!

The girlfriend really liked it.

I took 3 chunks over to the neighbor. After the first one he said "I am really liking your new hobby."

After the second one I asked him what he though it was. He replied "roast beef. Damn good roast beef"

As he finished the last one I told him it was venison.

He just looked at me and said that he never ever had venison that tasted like that.:D

Back