Cheap shenanigans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious if the trees you are taking down are spar trees - like a pole, or spreading hardwoods. If you are doing spar work, I think an SRT setup is simple, inexpensive, and safe. One rope and a petzl grigri, ($60) or any locking descender will do it. Not a lot to learn - you can probably already tie the knots.
Well 1 is a sycamore not to sure on height it's straight up but it does do a little leaning and the branches are fairly thin the 2 one is a walnut and it aint tall at all but it's wide and it also has tad bit of a lean and the 3 is a walnut and it's got a good lean but its fairly thin and not to tall either so that's the trees I'll be playing with and then of course the power poles I've set up and 60 bucks does sound reasonable

6000 lbs breaking strength and you have met ANSI standards. A tightly wound 3 strand nylon rope will fit the bill.

$70 at Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/KingCor...Thimble-White-Color-Coiled-458971BG/304078635

That'll get you safely up to 50 in a tree, although there are quite a few drawbacks to climbing on 3-strand rope. Most climbers prefer 150 feet or more, just in case they need to climb a little higher, or to allow for a chunk getting injured every now and then. In this line of work, our ropes keep getting shorter for mysterious reasons unknown. The fact that the ropes keep getting shorter is another good reason to always tie in twice.

For just a pinch more money, you can have 120 feet of Arborplex, which is a fine rope to climb on.
https://www.wesspur.com/samson-arbor-plex-tree-climbing-rope?quantity=1&length=1

There are a fair number of folks that do that. Some folks prefer a doubled flipline that has a prussic in the middle to make it work like two fliplines when you are going around a branch. I tried that for a while, but found it cumbersome.

With a little bit of thinking about it, you will realize there isn't any difference between your climbing line and a really long lanyard. They both anchor at one end to your belt, and the other end attaches to a friction device that makes the "lanyard" adjustable in length. Of course, that presumes you are using what is called the "doubled rope technique" with a split-tail attachment (DRT).

You ain't ready for SRT yet, given your reluctance to spend money on extra climbing toys.
I love my 2in1 lanyard. On smaller stuff the "tail" is long enough to advance or reposition while I still have the other end tied in.
It is my go-to poisoning lanyard. Unless the tree somehow requires a different lanyard, it's what I like best.
I've used a longer 1 way lanyard and it worked fine, just not my preference as it gave me less options when aloft. Steel core is nice for flipping but doesn't throw up as nicely in tight spots.

I'll try opting for 2 lanyards on my next really big climb, will let ya know what I think!

I love my 2in1 lanyard. On smaller stuff the "tail" is long enough to advance or reposition while I still have the other end tied in.
It is my go-to poisoning lanyard. Unless the tree somehow requires a different lanyard, it's what I like best.
I've used a longer 1 way lanyard and it worked fine, just not my preference as it gave me less options when aloft. Steel core is nice for flipping but doesn't throw up as nicely in tight spots.

I'll try opting for 2 lanyards on my next really big climb, will let ya know what I think!

Sometimes I climb with a second lanyard. It's twenty feet long.

Usually I just use my climbing rope when moving past a large limb.

Update

So I've done some research and some different things and I got watching axmen (stupidest show) and I noticed they don't even use a lifeline how long do yall think it will be before they fall out of the tree

Finally found another climber that uses a double ended lanyard. I can ascend small trees without needing to use my rope til I'm at the top.
I don't use a steel cored flipping when chogging down but use my lanyard above my main line, the mainline attached to my harness just like an adjustable lanyard.
That makes my lanyard sacrificial as it's only a 8' length of climbing line with a bowline each end and prussic loop in the middle.
Here in the UK the HSE (our osha) don't really like it, but then again they are not liking climbing on knots these days and want all climbers to only attach to a factory made and serial numbered splice or stitched rope.
I must admit I've avoided having my kit inspected and certificated in over 4 years and only last week I realised my long rope I have owned for 20 years now. Might be time to replace some stuff.

I trust a knot a good bit more than any splice. I even splice my own prussic cords and climbing line, but I still trust my knots more. I damn sure don't trust those sewn-splices.
Right there with ya. I have a spliced end on my line, but I do prefer to use the other end and tie it off myself. I've tried a couple different ascenders - but I prefer tying a friction hitch instead. I know who tied it, I know it's tied on right. I have far less fear of failure with something I tied myself.
Here we have a list of approved knots for various applications. While my employer likes eye splices and biners for everything - you still can't beat a good old knot tied just right😉

I prefer the splices, too. They are streamlined, they take less time to use, and they are supposedly stronger. That being said, I can inspect a rope, tie a knot in it, and I will have no doubt that it will hold me. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of confidence to obtain the ease of use for a splice.

Latest posts

Back