What's killing my Poplars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just his year I have found 8 dead poplars. Their sizes ranged from 14 to 18" and most were within 50 yards of each other. Just wondering if I can keep this from spreading any further.

RD

Could it be wood peckers or ants ? Both love poplars in my area. Fortunatly I hate poplars, so my chainsaw helps the ants and woodpeckers.:)

Could you post pictures? There are many insects and diseases that affect the poplar family so I would be just tossing out guesses to no available without them.

Woodpeckers will be going after insects...and, whereas they can do considerable damage, are not noted for killing poplars (in my area). Ants go after tissue that is already dead, so are not the problem but a sign of other issues.

Sylvia

even if you can't post pics, please let us know the species (pure sp., hybrid, lombardy, etc) and any other conditions, like were they alive at the beginning of the year or they never leafed out in the spring, are they dead where bark is sloughing off, are there any live ones around them still, if so do they look any different than years past? Any of these clues would help out.

They are Yellow Poplar(Liriodendron tulipifera) aka Tulip Poplar?. They are all standing dead, limbs already off, bark is also falling off. Other Poplars around these look ok. I will snap some pics & post them for y'all. Is there a beetle now working on Poplar like the Pine beetle?

RD

They are Yellow Poplar(Liriodendron tulipifera) aka Tulip Poplar?. They are all standing dead, limbs already off, bark is also falling off. Other Poplars around these look ok. I will snap some pics & post them for y'all. Is there a beetle now working on Poplar like the Pine beetle?

RD
no it sounds like pests are secondary. any changes in the root area?

No, they "were" undisturbed( I am cutting in a driveway this week) & growing on a ridge. The land is a 100ac tract that was last select logged in about 1998. I will post pic's tomorrow...it looks to be a rain day.

RD

Back