Whats the best all around stihl chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally have begun to use Super Klassic (RSK) when sharp it is the closest I've come to Super Klassic square ground (RSLK) but as a dealership we sell more RM (semi chisel) than any chain we sell it prolly 7 loops to 3 chisel loops (RS). We sharpen dozens of loops of chain everyday, Stihl is far more conisistent than Oregon imho.
As a user in the wood business I've tried them all trying to save as much as possible, Oregon,Windsor and Woodland Pro, even before I was involved with the dealership I went to Stihl, it just holds its edge much longer,thicker chrome,more sharpenings, if you want a soft easy to sharpen chain get some Oregon 22lpx, it just not doesn't give you the chain life. The "new designations" are to make it easier going forward, sorry Troll gets so easily confused.

One thing you won't find on Oregon chain is the advanced system of oil delivery by concave depressions in the drive links.The tiny little dimples or indentations on both sides of the drive links will allow for a 10% increase in chain service life and will not only carry more oil, but will allow for less dirt accumulation built up in the bar increasing bar life.

The C designation is being dropped from all chain to standardize the ID system, with a few exceptions all chains will have the comfort feature standard if you question it just look on the cutter it will have a small C stamped in it,

pitch markings are changing as well it will be marked on the depth ga 1=1/4" 2=.325 3=3/8 4=.404
6=3/8 picco 7=1/4 picco

Ya know you can come here,,, and hear more opinions based on personal use. experience ETC. and some of it is based upon use by folks with limited product availability,,, people get used to what is available,,, and seasonal use,,,

Others hear opinions and just repeat what they hear,,,,,,,

I find after using most all the brands mentioned here in a commercial tree removal/flushcut/Stumpgrinding application the Stihl saw chain is superior in design/build/performance/longevity,,,,

Period,,,, don't let the product sheet/page intimidate you!!!!! Good post Indian springs

I can't find the LGX listed anywhere in .325 .050 it keeps coming up LPX if thats the case is the LPX as good as the LGX chain .

There isn't any LGX chain made in .325, only the LPX.

However, there used to be the 30-series LG (now discontinued), that was a low-profile .325 chain. The lower cutters meant that you needed a smaller file.

Had LGX on my 576AT when I bought it and hated it. I split a lot of wood with the saw and the LPX bites much better for that. H48 husqy chain is LGX and H42 Is LPX. I run the 20 LPX (.325)on the Redmax with 8pin rim and love it. Never hit rocks or dirt cause I'm used to working with short equiptment :msp_rolleyes:

When did they drop the "C"? I've been buying RS from my dealer here for at least 4 years. Maybe more.

Latest posts

Back