What's the best type of mat/flooring to lay down to avoid tire ruts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unbeatable traction? Alturnamatts? Wow... we must have gotten A hundred defective ones. Even with the 4x4 bucket trucks they shoot out from under the tires on any kind of grade. Forget about doubling them up you might as well be driving on sheer ice...
We have both the double sided diamond tread matts and the smooth on one side. U need the smooth ones if you need to protect driveways other wise you end up stamping diamonds into the asphalt...
they have there uses. They are nice to use to protect drop zones.
Overall my choice is plywood matts are just too slippery and flexible

I guess it is all in the use, like I said I really only use mine for my mini skid. For some reason plywood just couldn't take the abuse. I like how flexible they are because you can throw them down over rough, rocky, or uneven terrain that is difficult to navigate with the skid.... and climbing stairs, don't waste your plywood on trying that..... I guess I am digressing from the topic of avoiding tire ruts.

Im sure your boyfriend loves it. The color will match his eyeliner. All the celebs pushed it for enviromental issues. Come to find out its harder on the environment then a hummer.

Im sure your boyfriend loves it. The color will match his eyeliner. All the celebs pushed it for enviromental issues. Come to find out its harder on the environment then a hummer.

It's only got half a back tire , that's gotta be better then throwing a whole tire in the can !

What I have seen done with plywood

Howdy

As a mere stump grinder I have been exposed to a lot of different ideas as for as getting to where the work is on some ones nice lawn.
One tree guy I work for took 3/4 inch plywood and sawed to 4'x8' halfs, then made a sandwich using both halfs with a piece of 1/2 inch dry wall in the middle. Plywood top and bottom Also attached rope loops for easier handling. If you are concerned about slipping, steeple some wire mesh on one side. If you are really concerned about slipping drill holes in all 4 corners and drive steel concree form stakes in each hole. Backed my 4000 lb grinder (Carlton 7500) out and back no problemo. They ain't light but thay are effective. Fairly cheap set up in my humble opinion.
Regards

Kenny

I agree with the two sided diamand pattern, unbeatable traction. I have laid them down on stairs and drove my mini skid right up them. I think I want to get one or maybe two of the 4x8s with a smooth side, though. That way for my skid I can set up a straight path with the 3x8s then have a 4x8 mat for a turning area.

Hey ropeclimber you ever make it up here to the front range? I swear I have seen that bucket truck cruising my town.

No that truck is down here in TX, It is an old McCoys truck, dont think it would pull the hills up there,I did take the little red car all over Colorado This summer and fall though, @ Arbor Jockey that car has 2 cats and has super ultra low emissions, admitted they probably did alot of envromental harm making the liquid metal nitrate Batt packs and plastic but my helper got 75.9 mpg drafting that truck back from Dallas, the truck got 8.1mpg empty though.
Paul

3/4 T & G, go to the big box stores and ask to talk to the manager, they get in the stuff and it is broken, they cant sell it to the contractors, so I pick up that stuff for about 10-12 bucks a sheet. But make sure you talk to the store manager, not the dude in the isle, they usually put it in the back, and that means work, so the isle worker will tell you they don't have it, where as the manager would love to make some money off of it, even if it is a little. I have had the mats, they work well, but expensive, if you need to make a road to get to the back 40, then you are going to spend some major coin on the mats. Plywood all the way, but never buy thin or the osb crap, only get ac 5/8 or 3/4. It will last quite a while too. Unless u hit it with a stump grinder..................

Back