Whats the best way to find logs for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psu927

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to buy hardwood logs for firewood and process them myself to burn personally. (not to sell). How would you guys go about locating a seller? Thanks

look for a sawmill, logging firm or tree service or a nice farmer that has a wood lot to clean up
larry

i usually check for that kind of stuff with my local furniture mill... he cuts only furniture grade wood if he gets logs in that dont cut the mustard he will sell them...other band saw type mills are a good source also... if you want them delivered to ya then check with some bigger mills close to ya,or even tree trimming companies..your county offices and township trusties could also be a good resource when they cut roadsides..

I've gotten a lot of wood from my county. Find out where they are cutting road ditches. They are always happy to get rid of the logs.

I have several friends that are land owners.
and yea, it seems they are always clearing land or has a tree that needs to come down.

Sawmills

Make sure they saw hardwood and not just pine. Ask about buying a load of tree length or cull logs. Biggest issue is making sure you have enough room for them to get the truck in and unload, that includes power line clearance. Don't be surprised if you go on a waiting list as most supply full time firewood companies running processors so being high volume they go to the top of the list.

You can check with independent foresters and loggers in the area. If you have the ability to move the wood yourself ask about buying in the landing and cutting the wood there. No trucking will save you some big bucks.

Find a saw shop in your area that deals with professionals. There are usually one or two. Skip the homeowner lawnmower shops. The guys that service loggers and tree services know who has and can provide log length wood.

Take Care

Would folks be offended if they were private messaged asking the same sorta question from someone in their local area ?
Just wondering before i go asking , as there only seems to be one other member of site close to me in the UK

Ask the firewood sellers in your area that you want full size logs, someone will know who can sell them to you.

Good luck.

Don't forget to check Craigslist.org in your area. You'll find people wanting to get rid of piles of junk wood, but there's also good wood to be had free for the taking. Also, if you have a larger displacement saw for noodling, then the door will be open for you to take large diameter rounds that nobody else wants to tackle.

Saw Mill

Call saw mills ask them do they have any slabs you can cut for fire wood. If you know where a mill is just go over and talk with them.

I went to a mill this week end and cut all day sunday . Most of the wood was hard wood oak maybe 95%. All of it was free. Some was sun dried but it was on top of the piles and the slabs were 10 feet long most of them I couldnt pick up.

No limbs to clear or pull out the way. I cut mine there at the mill. A lot of other people were just loading slabs to take them home to cut them up and split them. I split and stacked a half cord to dry out this year. The rest im going to burn. Oh These slabs are already sawed so they will dry fast. I just split them enough to fit in the stove.

I have 10 cords of split oak I got from answering ads on Craigslist last year. Spring and early summer is the most active time for me to get wood off Craigslist. People get sticker shock from tree company's prices and opt to do their own clean up to save some $. Also after storms blow through, Craigslist will be hopping.

Look for bulldozers.

Check with real estate and construction folks.

I've gotten quite a bit of wood for free from craigslist although some of it is a stretch to be called hardwood. If you have a bigger saw and a splitter, like others have said, big wood doesn't seem to go as fast. I have a trailer with a ramp so often times I can just roll the big rounds on. You have to act fast on those offers.

You can try calling your local tree service companies. Most of them don't mess with firewood. I bought a saw from a guy who owns a tree service. He told me he would bring me a 28' grapple truck load for $75. I have enough wood that I never took him up on it. I've heard some of them will drop off for free or cheap if you have a convenient place to offload.

If your neighbors have had their property logged, try asking them if you can cut there. The property across the road from me was logged 2 years ago, and I asked about it last spring. Besides some of the cull logs, I asked if I could clean up the stuff at the landing and they said I could also go into the woods and cut up all the tops I could get at, too.

Latest posts

Back