What's the cheapest log splitter with a 4-way wedge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live in Northern Wisconsin and collect my firewood from the Nicolet National Forest. I burn 5 full cords a year, but make around 10 full cords a year (trying to get ahead). I don't sell firewood. I just heat with it. I've been using a little Ryobi electric log splitter for 5 years. My rounds are 12 to 18 inches in diameter. With few exceptions, it's split everything I've thrown at it. Split over 50 full cords with it so far with absolutely no issues. I was considering getting a new splitter thinking it would be faster. But in watching tons of splitter videos on youtube, I think my little Ryobi is just as fast as most any single wedge splitter. Now I could be wrong, but somebody has to prove it to me. Here's a video on the Husky 22 ton splitter. $999 at Tractor Supply. huskee 22 ton log splitter - YouTube Now the Husky is a fine splitter, but my little $300 Ryobi can split just as fast. And ~ I'm sitting down as I'm splitting. I can operate the controls with just one hand (instead of 2 hands as the instructions state) and use my other hand to guide the wood into the wedge. I have the rounds stacked on each side of me and I just move down the line as I split while sitting. Unless it's something stringy, the rounds usually split when the wedge is about 3 or 4 inches into the wood. Total cycle time with this method is around 8 seconds. Naturally I have to re-split most pieces. But they fall on the floor right in front of me and it's easy to pick them up to re-split. I toss the splits right into my trailer (as the ram is retracting) for stacking later. By the time the ram is fully retracted, I've got another piece positioned for the next split. My method works pretty slick and it's easier on my old, tired bones.

Now any splitter with a 4-way wedge, or any kinetic splitter is another story. I'm not sure about a kinetic splitter, so I'm wondering what the cheapest splitter with a 4-way wedge costs. I like the SpeedPro kinetic splitter from TSC but they're having "issues" right now. I've done some research on the internet, but would appreciate any input from you all on a cheap 4-way wedge splitter.

I'm also partial to any splitter that splits in both directions. Here's one for $949. What's your opinion of it? Watch the video. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394095_200394095

Here it is with a 4 way wedge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0QH323qUUc
This is the one I'm seriously considering as it splits in both directions and is capable of using a 4-way wedge. Wha-da-ya-thunk?

Thanks Guys

Don <><

Last edited:
Thanks for the review stumpy. I was seriously considering one of the 4 ways but sounds like it will only work with the stuff I hand split. Only plan on using the new 22T on the really gnarly stuff that my splitting axe won't handle.

I have one of those. Had to add 3" on to the side wings to make it usable, and it still just does "ok". Not really worth the money...

The splitter is great. The 4 way wedge is not...

Good info. I considered purchasing one, but don't do much "soft wood" with my splitter anyways (a good thing:clap:). Did you find it easy to install and remove? Any other problems with it besides needing bigger "wings"? To me (and I have never used one) it looks like it would come off easily or get stuck if the wood binds? Thanks, KD

I dont think that cheapest, splitter and 4 way wedge belong in the same sentence just my .02

Good info. I considered purchasing one, but don't do much "soft wood" with my splitter anyways (a good thing:clap:). Did you find it easy to install and remove? Any other problems with it besides needing bigger "wings"? To me (and I have never used one) it looks like it would come off easily or get stuck if the wood binds? Thanks, KD

It sticks a little, but I just used a chunk of wood to persuade it to come off. Easy install, as it just fits right over the existing wedge.

I had a bunch of 6 to 12" ash rounds to run through it, and it did ok on them, as long as they were not too twisty. I found that it was just as fast to use it without the 4-way. One pop to split in half, turn that 90 degrees, split again and you have 4 quick pieces...

If I get some popple or something nice and straight, I'll use it again, but it's hanging on the wall for now.

I don't get it...

The one you have works great, you can work easy sitting down, you got the routine down pat...err..why again do you want another splitter, especially a way more expensive loud stinky gas one that you can't use inside a garage or basement anytime when it is nasty out and you want something to do????

The one you have works great, you can work easy sitting down, you got the routine down pat...err..why again do you want another splitter, especially a way more expensive loud stinky gas one that you can't use inside a garage or basement anytime when it is nasty out and you want something to do????

Thanks Zogger. You may have brought me back to reality. I think I just wanted a new "toy" to play with. I do think a splitter with a 4 way wedge, and one that splits in both directions would be faster then what I have now. The 20 ton Powerhorse for only $949 is petty slick. And adding a 4 way wedge makes it even slicker. I'll wait and see. Maybe this "urge" for a new toy will wear off and save me some bucks.

Thanks again for a reality check.

Don <><

I gotta go with Zogger on this one...a new toy is nice but if you are comfy and it sounds like you have a good system/rhythm, why try and "fix" it. This coming from a guy with a lot of fireewooding toys!

Thanks Zogger. You may have brought me back to reality. I think I just wanted a new "toy" to play with. I do think a splitter with a 4 way wedge, and one that splits in both directions would be faster then what I have now. The 20 ton Powerhorse for only $949 is petty slick. And adding a 4 way wedge makes it even slicker. I'll wait and see. Maybe this "urge" for a new toy will wear off and save me some bucks.

Thanks again for a reality check.

Don <><

Hey, no probs. I was just thinking, if you got that much spare change, and really aren't splitting for time or commercially, and your old machine was still working fine for you..just go get you a nice shiny new roll of silver eagles and *sit* on them things for a spell instead......take the long view and don't look back. You'll be able to get five new toys someday with that roll...just sayin'....

Hey, no probs. I was just thinking, if you got that much spare change, and really aren't splitting for time or commercially, and your old machine was still working fine for you..just go get you a nice shiny new roll of silver eagles and *sit* on them things for a spell instead......take the long view and don't look back. You'll be able to get five new toys someday with that roll...just sayin'....

Well, I do need a new chain saw. See my post at: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/185685.htm

Don <><

Latest posts

Back