What's the real difference in these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmetalbend

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
One of my current projects includes a STIHL ms310. The crankseals are going to be replaced while I have it appart. The problem is that the IPL's show two seals. Both give dementions as a 17mm shaft by 30mm outer diameter by 4.4mm wide. Part #9639-003-1743, and 9639-010-1743. Both seals are listed for the ms290,310 and,390 saws. Not only is the part number different, but price aswell. If anybody, knows the REAL difference please give us your thoughts. Myself and others that came across this would like to know why Stihl went to the effort to list two with no known diff. Please no guess work, we can do that all day ourselves.

Last edited:
One is for when you have the engine assembed and need to insert them from the outside; the other is when you have it apart and you just push them on and clamp the engine togther.

Last edited:
One of my current projects includes a STIHL ms310. The crankseals are going to be replaced while I have it appart. The problem is that the IPL's show two seals. Both give dementions as a 17mm shaft by 30mm outer diameter by 4.4mm wide. Part #9639-003-1743, and 9639-010-1743. Both seals are listed for the ms290,310 and,390 saws. Not only is the part number different, but price aswell. If anybody, knows the REAL difference please give us your thoughts. Myself and others that came across this would like to know why Stihl went to the effort to list two with no known diff. Please no guess work, we can do that all day ourselves.

There are two sets of seals for two reasons. If you want to replace a seal without pulling the engine pan off and there is another set if you do intend to pull the engine pan off. Meaning simply if your not going to disassemble the entire saw but are only replacing a seal there is a seal for that. If you remove the engine from the housing and take off the engine pan there is another set of seals to use. How are you intending to replace the seals?

One is for when you have the engine assembed and need to insert them from the outside; the other is when you have it apart and you just push them on and clamp the engine togther.

High speed net must be nice, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr,LOL

lolololol I usually put in big pictures to slow you down, but now age (yours) seems to be doing it for me nicely..

Last edited:
lolololol I usually put in big pictures to slow you down, but now age (yours) seems to be doing it for me nicely..

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr well take this: 9639-003-1743 seal if the engine pan is removed, 9639-010-1743 seal if the pan is not removed,LOLOLOL

OK good answer, my only question now is has anyone seen the two side by side to notice any physical diff. Thanks to all, and by the way mine are being removed by the pan off method. which means the 003's. But still wondering. Oddly enough, when I disassembled the crackcase I did notice that one of the seals could more easily be removed from the outside then the other. Due to a machined ridge on both sides of the seal. The other had only the inner ridge. Any thought's on how or if this plays into the conclusion?

OK good answer, my only question now is has anyone seen the two side by side to notice any physical diff. Thanks to all, and by the way mine are being removed by the pan off method. which means the 003's. But still wondering. Oddly enough, when I disassembled the crackcase I did notice that one of the seals could more easily be removed from the outside then the other. Due to a machined ridge on both sides of the seal. The other had only the inner ridge. Any thought's on how or if this plays into the conclusion?

I would answer but he's gonna out run me with that high speed net of his,grrrr
You got the pan off use seal 9639-003-1743 and getter done..

Thanks to all for the good info fellas' I'll mark it as solved, for the time being.

good to know!

Now a further question.

How effective is it to replace them with the NON-pan removal method?

l

good to know!

Now a further question.

How effective is it to replace them with the NON-pan removal method?

l

Should be very effective though I will tell you I've never used them. I like to remove the pan and re-seal it just to be positive the engine pan itself hasn't developed a leak. Finding a leaking seal under under a pressure/vac test is easy on those saws. If the engine pan itself is leaking thats much harder to detect because its hidden from view. Flip side though is I've only seen one pan actually leak. Matter of choice I guess...

Back