What's up with the 201T's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Local utility company purchased a pair of the 201T's last week, They are having problems with them.

I started them both, one was great right outta the box, the other one had to go thru calibration and then seemed to be ok. Well, today the first one came back to me, it just quit on them, I am told.... :wtf:

Ok, now I am GOING to learn the the MDG-1 diagnostic things with the laptop. I got a connection, and we started to get some info. Saw has run 11 minutes, 16 successful starts. there was a laundry list of checks, and I went home after I hit the "crank the engine" to check flywheel. It started... :lol:

tomorrow, with more time, I will drag the setup out the door and go all the way thru the checks.

I will let you guys know if or what I find! I know it is supposed to be great, but darn it....

The lone wolf guy would know all about it for sure... haven't seen him for some time though.

I guess you're happy that's not billed at your personal account. I'm just happy my cs360t shows no child problems what so ever.

I went thru all of the MDG diagnostics this morning on that 201T, that was interesting. The only thing that came up was it wasn't reaching full rpm (but it sure sounded like it)
I was going to reset it, and they came in to check on it. we decided to put it back together, and go out and play with it some. It seemed to behave better, we gotta give it another chance. If the system can settle down and work correctly, these will be awsum saws.

i'll have to figure out where that info is in there. This was the first time I ever hooked up the MDG system. I watched it sort of explained in Stihl Silver, but I am on a learning curve here.
I heard they took apart another tree today with the thing and it worked well. I told them that if the other one behaves oddly I would love to hook it up and see what the computer can tell me.

Drill down to "Data" then "Operating Data" and "Service Data". Don't expect too much from the tester.
Its just another tool.
The fuel numbers will at least tell you if its adjusting to lean or to rich. Then look for why.
If you have Stihl training, you should know to vac/press test early in the diagnosis, before any Mtronic investigations. New saw or not.
But. if the saw in question doesn't idle or wont run on start, replace the solenoid.
Dont switch them from one saw to the other. You might cause o-ring damage.
And DO NOT put so much emphasis on the calibration procedure.
The saw should run with or without doing it.
Remember it's still a carb equipped saw. With a very conventional carb on it.

Back