What's wrong with this picture ? MORBARK 700HDX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preventec47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I rented this machine for the afternoon to pry about a dozen concrete blocks out of the mud
Later on I began to think it wasnt level any more. I was putting the edge tooth on the block
and pushing forward at same time as lifting the arm and rotating the "bucket" to lift the blocks
out of the mud. Did I put the twist in this grabber claw ? I have been driving skid steers and
track loaders for a few decades "with buckets instead of grab claws. I dont think the claws
would be any less torsionally strong than the bucket as they mount interchangably using the same
mounts ? ? ? I feel bad but I dont think I was negligent. I stated my intentions for the machine
and showed the owner what I was doing when it was delivered. Are these stand on skid steers
that fragile ?

Attachments

• #$$$_9764.jpg
    #$$$_9764.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 7
  • #$$$_9770B.jpg
    #$$$_9770B.jpg
    767.5 KB · Views: 7
I should clarify, the reason I am posting here is I really like the guy I rented it from, and
would like to help him with the mfgr or warranty if applicable. It has a mfgr year of 2021 on the serial number tag so it might not even be a full year old. I would be very leery of this machine considering the twisted boom arm from what I consider normal work. Buyers Beware. Other than photos and a narrative of the activities that caused the twisted boom arm, what else can I do to help ?

I believe the arms themselves are bent. I checked the mounts very closely and all other associated structures and could see nothing wrong or out of place. see pics
Torsion in many other structures are controlled by "box" structures and there are no
obvious cross members forming a box in the boom arms.

Attachments

• $$$_9772.jpg
    $$$_9772.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • $$$_9775.jpg
    $$$_9775.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Not for nothing, just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. And by no means am I pointing fingers or throwing shade on anyone..Although we do own 2 other brand stand behind skid steers… but those machine both arms and buckets can be bent, and specifically this skeleton grapple buckets they aren’t necessarily … again in my opinion made for prying on objects stuck in mud or prying and twisting on things. We have bent the arms on stand behinds as well as the hydrolic grapples in regular solid skid steer buckets from logs and stones before. Also a lot is that all it takes is with these buckets is the “right” pressure and torsion… just the “right” way and whammo… you’ve got a tweaked bucket

How about a pic of the concrete block? Those brush grapples are not designed for that kind of stress. If you look at a standard bucket for that machine it is much narrower. I hate to say it, but I have a feeling you weren't prying 8x16s out of the mud.
1. Standard 8 x 8x 16 concrete blocks
2. Maybe the grapples are or are not designed as you say, the grapples are not bent or twisted. The whole boom arm assembly is.
3. So what the bucket is narrower. The whole machine is much smaller. The bucket is
the same width as the grappler and the mount is identical except for fewer hydro hookups.
4. It is evident some part of the machine was not designed for the stress or we would
not be seeing deformation. Considering what is bent, a bucket would not have made any difference.
5. I'm thinking if it was not designed to handle the stress the machine can create,
they should either issue precautions, or lower the power or increase the strength.
Not including actions involving inertia, there should be nothing an operator can do
that will over stress the machine.

The jolly logger is right bud… as I stated before. Improper use of the machine… it’s not your fault, with equipment stuff happens. How else to you think my crew bends grapples, break buckets, bend thumbs.. **** happens man. This stand behind are mainly used as material movers/ haulers. Not motorized pry bars… an excavator would of been a better call. Lift capacity and power has nothing to do with it. Pushing and twisting can and will tweak the arms on stand behinds… it will on any machine when the pushing, pulling and twisting is done just the right way.. as you now know. Just trying to help for the future

It does not look to me as if the problem is necessarily with the claw. Rather, it might be related to the hydraulics, possibly a leaking/blown seal on the right side which results in the left side being lifted higher than the right. Measure how far the piston extends on both sides. Park on a flat surface and see if the left side settles to the ground after the right side has made ground contact.

It does not look to me as if the problem is necessarily with the claw. Rather, it might be related to the hydraulics, possibly a leaking/blown seal on the right side which results in the left side being lifted higher than the right. Measure how far the piston extends on both sides. Park on a flat surface and see if the left side settles to the ground after the right side has made ground contact.
That is a possibility, could have blown a seal or had some bypass on that right side.

Just saying last year we beat the living Fkkkk out out of a ditch witch sk1050 same style grapple and didn't bent the arms..... bent the grapple a bit yes but nothing crazy. And we would constantly grab the ends of log/brush and lift long lengths so tons of twist on the grapple.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

My guess is a bent cross tube. The 2 cylinders are teed together so if the seals were blown in one they "normally" leak down. I have seen them fail intermittently but not normally. A grapple is the hardest thing for a front loader. CJ

Head over to TBN, and read about loaders on the Rural King tractors,,
The loaders have nightmares of twisted loaders,,
some of the tractors roll off the delivery truck, brand new,,
lower the bucket to the driveway, and have one side of the bucket "tweaked" up 2 inches.

So, this is nothing new,,,,,,,,,

Back