What's your favorite part of tree work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree with you. I work with a young guy that thinks he has to prove how strong he is. Strong? Yes. Smart? No.

No matter how strong he is, he can't out lift the skid steer even though he tries. I try to tell him over and over to use his energy doing something that I can't do while running the skid steer.

My main thing is the guys want to lower the limb/chunk all the way to the ground before they try to move it. Grab the tip and pull it out of the way before you let it touch the ground! Get it out of the way of the next piece coming down. Once it touches the ground you are stuck and you have to deal with it there. Not to mention if it is a big piece (leader/chunk) you put tension on it once it touches the ground. Leave it suspended until you move it clear or cut a piece big enough to handle and move. Ideally if you are lowering something from the crane right to the truck you are ahead of the game. You are truly touching it once to unchoke it in that situation. The more steps you can cut out in between you and the truck the more efficient you are working.

Last edited:
Taking a top out... The adrenaline of the last few seconds of your back cut and just as it starts to go over.

Yup agree luv that moment as the cut opens up and top starts to fall away heading over to ground. Silent or a gentle whoosh as it goes. Then that wumpthump of satisfaction as it lands just as you imagined.

After a high hard testing job with the rush still in your heart. You go see your lady give her some extra passion for gettin it done good and gettin home safe.

Back