Wheel dressing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precaud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Getting to know things as I'm using the NT grinder...I see that most of the wear occurs on one side of the wheel, and that "dressing" is mostly removing material from the other side. It looks to me like the useable life of a wheel could be extended by flipping it every couple chains or so. Make sense? Anybody doing that?

Yeah, I recall one of the pros here saying that's the way his shop does it. I think it was Lakeside and they flip it after each chain.

I bought one of those dressing bricks from Bailey's. I dress the wheel till it matches that plastic profile guide that came with the NT grinder. It's not too hard.

Ian

wtf are you all talking about?

Someone, "God", flips his wheel after each chain?

Why would anyone dress the side of the wheel that does not contact
the chain?

Am I missing something here?

Sorry for being rude, but I am new here.

There are many good posts about sharpening, search them.

wtf are you all talking about?

Someone, "God", flips his wheel after each chain?

Why would anyone dress the side of the wheel that does not contact
the chain?

Am I missing something here?

Sorry for being rude, but I am new here.

There are many good posts about sharpening, search them.

Right on FISH..
I have been running a saw grinder for the last 26 years.. I install the new wheel dress it to my likes, then depending on the chain redress it once or twice a loop sometimes more if chain is dirty.. I see no need to do like granddog said and flatten the bottom of the wheel???? Every different style of chain will require a little different style of dressing. Thats why I never used a Borazon wheel cause I can't achieve the proper radius to the chain.. Fish how is the new sharpening employee working out haven't heard about him lately??

Scott

Yeah, I recall one of the pros here saying that's the way his shop does it. I think it was Lakeside and they flip it after each chain.

Not me.... We don't use anything, but borazon anymore.. but when we did use conventional wheels, we just touched up the grinding edge now and then. Can't ever remember taking the wheel off until it was 3 inches in diameter!

Sorry, I get rude while watching "Emeril".

Sorry, Andy, about referring to you as "God".

But you are "God" here, you could run for president, but you happen to
be a heathen foriegner.

But occaisionally, wading through the posts here, I just reject one.
This is just one.

Not me.... We don't use anything, but borazon anymore.. but when we did use conventional wheels, we just touched up the grinding edge now and then. Can't ever remember taking the wheel off until it was 3 inches in diameter!

Sorry. Memory fails. That Fish sure is a exciteable guy, isn't he.

Wheel dressings

Two reasons for dressing a grinding wheel. #1 to keep the right contour. #2 because the wheel will load up and burn the chain more easily. Tom

Sorry, I get rude while watching "Emeril".

Sorry, Andy, about referring to you as "God".

But you are "God" here, you could run for president, but you happen to
be a heathen foriegner.

But occaisionally, wading through the posts here, I just reject one.
This is just one.

HA!!! I didn't read your "god" as me... but now you mention it... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wait... God doesn't have groupies (must be true.. a Mod said so..)...:( :( :(

Heathen.. yep.. that sums it up... As for President..., why? you guys have perfectly good one right now :taped::popcorn:

Last edited:
Yes, Sorry, I am excitable when the brew is cold and flowing.

The next morning I am remorseful, and reluctant to log back in, trying to
remember who, or how many, I have pissed off.

I do not sharpen anymore anyway, I just hand them to this guy..............

some disks dont need dress'n-borazon,diamond-but there sure seems to be alot of strong opinions for and aginst them-whats the deal with these??
never mind Iv found it
borazon=http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=43673&highlight=borazon

They work well and last a very long time... (but not all are equal due to the chinese invasion..) You need a lighter touch as they can remove a heck of a lot of material in a hurry, but you soon get used to that. Apart from being cheaper (life wise) they don't fill your lungs with stone dust... I place a very strong magnet (out of an old microwave magntron) behing the chain and it catches 90% of the steel fillings.

Yes, Sorry, I am excitable when the brew is cold and flowing.

The next morning I am remorseful, and reluctant to log back in, trying to
remember who, or how many, I have pissed off.

That used to happen to me after "a night out" when the wife was along.. I was never sure if I was dead meat or not when I woke up... sometimes not sure for a couple of days, or longer.. :help:

You might get a little extra life, but your chain's edge should be the main concern, as the dressing brick should be used to maintain the correct shape
of the stone, as well as remove the loaded up material so the cutter will not burn.
Time and risking breaking the stone are two other issues, as both the
stone, and time, is money, if you do it for a living.

But you may get a few more chains out of a wheel by flipping it,
so go for it, and I am sorry for pissing you off. It is my bad upbringing.
I was abused as a child...

Of course it was self inflicted..............................

Jeepers, I was all ready to bust your chops some more and you come on all remorseful and take the fun right out of it. I try not to take anything to serious on this internet stuff. But I will say, everyone screws up, including me, it just takes a real man to admit it and make it right, which you did.
I still don't understand how anyone can get away without either dressing the wheel or flipping it to keep the shape you need. I'm sure the wheels that came with these NT grinders are el cheapo and wear pretty fast, maybe that's part of it.

Latest posts

Back