When do I fertilize my apple tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenniferkbauman

Reaction score
We've just moved into our home in Indiana. This is a big deal to us, since we've just retired from the Marine Corps---after 20 years of moving--it's nice to finally "plant our roots" (no pun intended) and live in one place we can really call "Home". There is an apple tree in the backyard. I don't want to ruin it! Your help is so much appreciated! My question is: When is the best time to fertilize it, winter or spring? When we were looking at the home during the fall (prior to purchasing it), we noticed that it was covered with beautiful red apples (I think they call them "Michigan Apples"), but I don't know the variety for certain. The previous owner mentioned that he fertilized the tree yearly, but he didn't say what time of year and I forgot to ask. Also, would you please recommend a good fertilizer? Thank you for your help!

I would like to back you up for a moment and say you really don't need to fertilize your tree yearly, but I would suggest you start with a soil test (which can typically do through your local extension office).

Next take the results of the test to your local (reputable) nursery to see what they offer in an organic, slow release fertilzer that matches the needs of the soil to support the tree.

You can apply fertilzer this spring if the soil needs it.

Recent studies have shown that regular application of high N fert will drasticly increase the susceptablility to pest problems. One of the studies was with apples and found that tent cat was like 300% higher on fertilized trees.

Back