When is a cylinder not worth saving?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dengel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got an 039 on the bench currently. Bad crank seals fried the piston, and left some marks on the cylinder. I've removed the aluminum transfer with muriatic and a ball hone, but there are still some deepish looking scores in it that don't go past the plating. How do you guys judge when to junk a cylinder or run it?

Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
I've got an 039 on the bench currently. Bad crank seals fried the piston, and left some marks on the cylinder. I've removed the aluminum transfer with muriatic and a ball hone, but there are still some deepish looking scores in it that don't go past the plating. How do you guys judge when to junk a cylinder or run it?

Judging by the pictures I'd run that cylinder, if the marks don't grab your finger nail and no plating is missing the cylinder is still good.

Kinda looks like the ball hone beat up the plating on the edges of the transfers

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input folks. I had another look in better lighting, and the plating is definitely damaged.

I thought the rule was always not to hone these cylinders to keep from damaging the plating around the ports? Now it’s seems to be the thing to do.

I thought the rule was always not to hone these cylinders to keep from damaging the plating around the ports? Now it’s seems to be the thing to do.
I use a 3 stone hone and an aggressive cutting method to quickly remove max material...havent had any problems yet but i can't use it on an open transfer jug. Bottle Hones will tend to snag the ports

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back