When it rains everything goes wrong.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Yesterday after splitting with one of my splittery for several hours I decided to take a break, Came back to the splitter not starting. Cleaned the carb and flushed the bowl and added fresh gas, still nothing. Checked the float and it was working fine, then checked spark all good. Changed the plug and still nothing. This spliter has always started on the first pull. Checked the kill switch and still nothing. Not even trying to fire.
Gave up on that one and started my other splitter and it started first pull. Come the next day and it to wouldn't start. Went through all the same things as I did on the first one and still no go. Took a break and went down to cut up some pecan logs, wrecked 2 chains and now my saw wont start.
I did finally got one splitter started and got the other to pop a few times but never got it running. Saw is still down Why does everything break at the same time? C ant be carma because I have done nothing but be helpful to everyone lately at my expense and never asked for a dim in return. Spent all day trying to get things running but only one success so far. Now Im just to tired and frustrated to do anything else with it today. I'm hot and sweaty smell like gas and covered in grease and oil. Calling it quits for today. It's miller time, f it.

Check the fuel again
Only thing that might be an isue is the intake gasket may have an air leak. If I had sone RTV I would put a little on the intake gaskes and see if that helps. It went from not firing at all to trying to pop after I removed the carb abd ckeaned the intake gasket and replaced it back, Then it got an ocational pop out of it. I suspect it's sucking air therough the intake gasket. Might pull it back off and put a little grease on it as a temorary fix to see if it sucking air.

On the splitters are the plugs wet or dry after trying to start? If dry see if a spritz of gas in the intake will get them to pop. If they are wet you might have an issue with float and/or needle and seat.

For a spark checker you can take a used but working plug, clean it up, and open the gap way up like 1/8". If you have a healthy spark it should still jump a gap that big.

Spent about 8 hours working on both splitters. The pull rope on my other one was stuck and wouldn't pull, it was locked up. Took the pull rope cover and it turned just fine. Put the cover back on and she started rite up. must have been some wood stuck in the fly wheel.
The other one I took the carb complettly off and put saome anti size on the intake gasket between the carb and manifold Re checked the float and needle valve blew out the carb real good and all the port holes. Then completly drained the tank and blew air back through the fuel line. Put another layer on the filter side of the intake added new fuel and she lives. Could have been a combo of everything I did but she runs as good as new now. Sratrs first pull just as it always has.

Good to hear , shi__ happens and when it rains it pours, when get a chance to sit down and contemplate your equipment, think back while everything is fresh in your mind . What is the most likely problem for each piece? Seems to be all or mostly fuel related . Is this the first time this year you have run this equipment? I see you’re from Texas👍.

Good to hear , shi__ happens and when it rains it pours, when get a chance to sit down and contemplate your equipment, think back while everything is fresh in your mind . What is the most likely problem for each piece? Seems to be all or mostly fuel related . Is this the first time this year you have run this equipment? I see you’re from Texas👍.
No my equipment gets run everyday.

Whatever the cause, hope you get it sorted out.
So far everything is back to normal. Both splitters are running as normal again. Both start first pull as the day they were bought. My guess is the stuck pull rope was just some trash stuck in the fly wheel. Removing the cover and replacing it seems to have fixed that issue.
The deep cleaning of the carb on the other one seems to have fixed it as well. Must have been some trash in the fuel that got through the filter or the intake gasket had a small air leak witch the anti seaz sealed up and it to is working fine now. Both are starting first pull and running fine now.
I havent looked at the saw yet. I may have just flooded it and as we all know you have to let them sit for awhile or you'll wear yourself out cranking on it trying to clear it out. So I'm just gonna let it sit a day or two and give it another go. I have plenty of wood cut at the moment so no need trying to force it to start. As for wrecking the 2 chains I was cutting pecan logs that had been skidded up over some rocks and I'm sure I hit a rock or two that got embedded in the wood that I didn't see. Was a shame since both were brand new chains. I'm sure with some extended filing I can get them back to cutting good as new. I just seemed all 3 issues happened the same day and stopping production on a day I needed to get things done.

Latest posts

Back