When to fell an ash… now or spring?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any early signs that ash are dying? Have a few in my grove that are very tall and it looked like the leaves were stressed last summer but I’m in the middle of a drought and it was very dry last summer. Arbor vitae shed way more leaf than usual fall drop.

Unless you actually see the adult emerald ash borers, crown thinning is often the first sign that your trees are infested.

I am dropping/cleaning up trees on any day that I am available and it is safe to do so (i.e. not so windy that dropping branches are a hazard, and not so icy that safe footing is a problem). Hazard trees near high value targets are top priority.

Look for the small “D” shaped holes in the bark. I’m sure you will find a visual example if you search online.

The thing I have trouble grasping is the fact that the tree will break about 15/20 feet up the stem when it gets real weak. That is what is likely to kill you when felling. Not to mention risk of huge limbs breaking off and coming down.
It’s best to get them on the ground and on a log deck sooner rather than later. I’d they go too far, you have to wait until they come down on their own.

Our ash trees are simply old - and have been exposed to countless floods. Top canopy is getting ragged, there is a nasty branch or two that could kill a guy.

Supposedly no EAB have gotten this far NW yet - with exception of Winnipeg Canada 120 miles north of here.

Likely the sooner the better. I've been cutting them steady for the last 7 years. 2nd picture is 3 hours of work to get to that stage. Most had blown over and the branches all smashed off. Pick up with grapple and drag to landing, no saw needed except to cut to length. The 3rd and 4th picture are the same tree. you can see why it broke at 35' up, I wasn't expecting that either. It had blown partway over and I was trying to get it to the ground. 5th picture is a tree that I was asked to finish cutting after original cutter decided his 4 hour old saw wasn't up to the task.

Attachments

• 20230219_120257.jpg
    20230219_120257.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230219_140015.jpg
    20230219_140015.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230114_100439.jpg
    20230114_100439.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230114_144053.jpg
    20230114_144053.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20201024_155555.jpeg
    Resized_20201024_155555.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
EAB infestation signs are top down as others noted. Before we knew what it was 15 years ago we called it “ash yellows”…mid summer yellowing from top down. Flecking (first pic) is characteristic of advanced infestation, as woodpeckers begin chipping at bark to get at larvae tunneling in the cambium. We left a few for cavity nests, could be woodpeckers, flying squirrels or screecher owls (second pic). Again EAB has been in S WI for 15 years, and I don’t trust any of them now to cooperate safely with any ground-based felling plan of mine.….emphasis “mine”…I know others may try but I choose nuh uh…walk away.

Attachments

• 73C643D2-E11D-49F6-AEE0-B29799A39ACE.jpeg
    73C643D2-E11D-49F6-AEE0-B29799A39ACE.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 0
  • E0002C45-DE6C-489A-B088-07A114ECC553.jpeg
    E0002C45-DE6C-489A-B088-07A114ECC553.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
If the top is turning yellow and thinning, how much time do you have before it turns into a punky dangerous mess? I have one at least 90 feet tall, maybe 20-30 ft to the first branch with a very wide crown and large branches in all directions. It would make a mess of the undergrowth if I cable and pull it. Last summer I was going down the Highway 40 mile from me and there were a lot of farmsteads with dead ash. So I know it’s coming sooner or later. My grove is 70 years old. Had 2 rows of elm on the west and north side. Lost those in the 70’s and now it’s Dukes Mixture of ash, walnut, mulberry, hackberry, silver maple. Most of the inner two rows of mixed pine have died out and were replanted with arbor vitae and a sort of eastern cedar. Getting too old to handle some of this tree maintenance. At any rate, thanks for the replies gentlemen. Onward through the fog.

Some last for years after the crown looks dead. But most become dangerous sooner than that. I have had several ash trees snap 6 to 15 feet up in wind storms.

I need firewood by next winter and have none stored, so I need to get going ASAP.

Should one fell ash trees while things are still frozen or wait until spring? (mud season)

Mainly wondering about sap flow - will the ash be quicker to season if it’s felled prior to sap flow?
If you have Ash the question is it it dead and dying, or is it healthy?
Most Ash all over North America and the world is infected with the E.A.B. beetle. It's not only on the East coast, it's everywhere and it all started near Detroit in the 80's and with no end in sight it's looking like Ash may be extinct soon. Sad really.
Any firewood is better to split ASAP to get the seasoning started.
Anyone who says to burn Ash green doesn't understand the physics of materials much. I know any wood can be burned green and wet, but it's not the best practice for all the reasons we already know.
It's a wive's tale as they say.

Are there any early signs that ash are dying? Have a few in my grove that are very tall and it looked like the leaves were stressed last summer but I’m in the middle of a drought and it was very dry last summer. Arbor vitae shed way more leaf than usual fall drop.
Look for the exit holes in the bark where the EAB came out of. About the size of a 22cal entrance.
Also look for fresh water sprouts in the trunks & base of tree. (the last gasp of life).

Back