When to plant apple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarsFromMars

Reaction score
When is the best ime to plant a Macintosh Apple tree?
What is the best way to purchase , plant and care for it?
I,,m in Illinois, just Northwest of Chicago.

For a container grown tree any time will be okay (although the heat of mid-summer is less than ideal. For bare-root trees early spring is probably best.

Where ans how much

O.k., so I can buy a tree and plant it ASAP. Would someone give me e-mail, or website of someone that can ship me a Macintosh tree.
How much for a mature one?
Got one in your yard? I'll come and git it.

Lars, here is Stark Bros. website address.http://store.starkbros.com/ As I said before checking with a local nursery would be a good idea. Transplanting a mature tree is cost prohibitive if done right. If done improperly it becomes a waste of effort. Your best route to quick apples is a container grown tree.

I haven't dealt much with companies that will ship you a tree........but my main concern would be that the tree would arrive damaged due to transportation. If this were to happen, you would be dealing with a further stressed tree from the beginning. And if you are wanting to harvest apples relatively quickly, as in the next few years (depending on the size of tree), the more you can help a tree by alleviating stress, the better and sooner you will be able to enjoy the fruit. Therefore, I would suggest trying to find your desired tree at a local nursery........or perhaps contacting a local arborist that may be able to sell you one or point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Back