when to prune?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munkee feet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I see companies advertising to prune trees now...that is September. I have learned somewhere along the road that almost all pruning on trees should happen at the end of Feburary or the beginning of March when the trees were coming out of dormancy. What is the truth?
Tom

dead branches can be pruned at any time. Fruit trees should be pruned in late winter. If you are after flowers then it will depend if the plant flowers on this years growth(rose of sharon) or the previous years growth(lilac) In most situations trees can be pruned at any time as long as proper cultural practices are followed.

I think it all depends on what type of tree you're talking about. For example, around here, white pines should be pruned around the beginning of July.

Munkee feet said:
almost all pruning on trees should happen at the end of Feburary or the beginning of March when the trees were coming out of dormancy.
Tom

when it comes to sugar maples thats about the worst time

elmnut said:
dead branches can be pruned at any time. Fruit trees should be pruned in late winter. If you are after flowers then it will depend if the plant flowers on this years growth(rose of sharon) or the previous years growth(lilac) In most situations trees can be pruned at any time as long as proper cultural practices are followed.

X2
some times we have the luxury of pruning at certain times of the year (orchards should be done during the late winter as mentioned, and most orchard growers have agreements with utility companies etc for this). however, you can and should prune whenever as long as you do it properly. much of this can depend on the spp as mentioned with the sugar maples. i would assess the species in question and go from there!

Back