When to replace a bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I'm going through a 290 that a buddy loaned out and the fellow scorched the bar pretty badly. Color changes 1/4" back from bar edge. It dressed up fine, but I can get .075 worth of feeler gauge in the .063 bar. Time to chuck it?

Ian

Just so you know.. under the paint the rails are "blue" from the laser heat treatment, which goes to Gary's point...

a picture's worth a thousand words....

attachment.php

Good deal. I learn something every day. He said that his buddy had the smoke rolling off it. I assumed it was toast.

Ian

That's the factory hardened edge... dress it up and keep usin' it.

Maybe some paint too... :laugh:

Gary

OK there Gas-O-Gary, you've brought up a way to keep this thread going. What about painting? Any tips from the gang? Sand off all the old paint or do you just prime and paint? What paint do you use that will last? Do you bake the fresh coat?

I would call this a problem

Here's the tip on my 360pro after the last outing. I'm gonna call this a problem.

Is that why you are supposed to grease the tips??

Well, I would have to drill a hole in that Pro bar to do that. Good bars do not require you grease the tips. As far as pinching it,,,,,,maybe,,,,,but it's just worn out fella's the sprocket in the end has razer sharp points and shows alot of wear. I figured if the sprocket is worn that much the bearing isn't far behind, causing the added heat. I've been looking for a replacemnet tip, found one on fleabay, but the seller says"Although it fits the sthil bar's you have to add some to the chain" his is longer than the factory. Crap in other words. Guess I'm either gonna have to break down and buy the stihl one or get another bar,,,,,Damit.:chainsaw:

Back