when to throw in the towel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to work with a very successful interior contractor. He charged allot of money and worked mainly high end contracts. He allways said, '' in this business, one of the best tools you can have is a good kook meter.'' He was real good at spotting them. When he came across one, he would double the price and wouldn't start work until half was paid up front. As long as I worked with him I never remember him having trouble getting paid.

Wow interesting experience from the sounds of it, in my business I call people like that knuckleheads it takes awhile to sniff them out but you have got some good experience with this one!!!

I went to business management school out in California and learned about dealing with employees and people in general and there isnt a hard and fast rule for dealing with them from my experience other than plain avoidance and proper salesmanship, good comunication up front is mandatory.

Once you are in their grips dont let them bring you down to their level if anything thats the key! Stay calm and factual and dont budge from what you know is the right thing dont argue or raise your voice thats what they want and expect from you it makes them justified, if you stay calm it puts you in charge and them in the wrong if they get loud etc.

Any gals that read this I mean no disrespect but women are the worst in my experience about having the abillity and willingness to turn the situation around and making it your fault because you didnt please them or live up to their expectations its just the way it is, their view of whats honorable is different than men imho.

One thing you may start doing is find a decent way of telling people up front they have one chance to refuse the sale when they see the wood and thats before you off load it and that you are not trying to pedal bad product just have better things to do than educate people on fire building etc. good luck

edit: I can usually tell a KH when I talk to them by the questions they ask, they will almost always lead you into a no-win situation by asking certain things that you would think should be obvious, that will be the first red flag, make sure at that point there is understanding dont expect them to know what you know or what you think is common knowledge or it can bite you.

I have it happen every now and then and its always someone that asks certain questions that seem to lead up to expecting more than what is practcal and/or reasonable for the situation at hand. They dont get to me anymore I make my point explicit and make sure they understand but they still try its a dog eat dog world at times got to have proper communication fwtw.

Kansas

Last edited:
i have three major rules.

you must be home to inspect wood before i dump it.

CASH ONLY!

i am not driving on muddy yards.

my female neighbor agrees with the female post here. she thinks that she called to complain just to get ME to come back and talk/ hang out with her. it would not be the first time, and i am sure not the last. actually i would like to deliver wood to some hot single woman, once before it happened, she was my girlfriend for a year and half, after that however i wished i had never met her, but thats another story.
i am trying really hard to make firewood a real business. as i get more and more customers, i am sure i will get more and more problem customers. i have been lucky though, in 9 years of selling wood here, i have only recieved 3 or 4 bad checks, and only one actually tried to stiff me. but i have to date never not gotten paid, sometimes it took a while, but still got it. i take checks, cash, and am thinking about paypal. the easier i can make it for someone to pay me the more likely i am to make the sale. i hate paypal, but i am going to try it and see if it helps sales. it creates more ability for people to stiff me, but i have to try.
my firewood processor will be here on wednesday, with that kind of production i will need all the sales i can get.

thanks to all for your comments, its good to have confirmation of what i think is right.

your neighbor is probably right.

my female neighbor agrees with the female post here. she thinks that she called to complain just to get ME to come back and talk/ hang out with her. it would not be the first time, and i am sure not the last. actually i would like to deliver wood to some hot single woman, once before it happened, she was my girlfriend for a year and half, after that however i wished i had never met her, but thats another story.
i am trying really hard to make firewood a real business. as i get more and more customers, i am sure i will get more and more problem customers. i have been lucky though, in 9 years of selling wood here, i have only recieved 3 or 4 bad checks, and only one actually tried to stiff me. but i have to date never not gotten paid, sometimes it took a while, but still got it. i take checks, cash, and am thinking about paypal. the easier i can make it for someone to pay me the more likely i am to make the sale. i hate paypal, but i am going to try it and see if it helps sales. it creates more ability for people to stiff me, but i have to try.
my firewood processor will be here on wednesday, with that kind of production i will need all the sales i can get.

thanks to all for your comments, its good to have confirmation of what i think is right.

years ago when i did landscaping and mowing i would periodically get complaints from women customers.when i arrived to resolve it all of a sudden it 'wasn't a real big deal."

next thing i know i am sitting there **** chatting for an hour or more.i have been asked out to dinner,weekend getaways,family events,offered drinks,a swim in the pool,you name it.some of these women i know where married.a couple of them even made advances while their spouse was home.

i decided early on in life never to mess with another man's woman,customers outside of work,or get involved romantically with co workers.seems to have served me well.every time i see other not abide by these basic rules,they seem to get sucked into a drama series,no thanks.

i think you handles it well.especially the jab at the end.:cheers:

it's called humor.

this is probably the stupidest thing i read all day.. :rolleyes:

either way sounds like you tried the best you could i guess you can't please them all

if her CO detector is going off - she most certainly has a draft problem and if it's not addressed you wont have to worry about her in the future

all that matters is that i find it funny.you have the option of skipping to the next post or complaining.you made you choice,not that it's going to make a difference.

remember,it's not free speech unless someone is offended.i live to offend.it's a hobby of mine.

i guess if i lived in a state that voted for Teddy and Barney over and over again,i wouldn't have a sense of humor.

Have a Merry CHRISTmas!

all that matters is that i find it funny.you have the option of skipping to the next post or complaining.you made you choice,not that it's going to make a difference.

remember,it's not free speech unless someone is offended.i live to offend.it's a hobby of mine.

i guess if i lived in a state that voted for Teddy and Barney over and over again,i wouldn't have a sense of humor.

Have a Merry CHRISTmas!

Take offense to this post if you want, but you just spew political garbage all over this forum (mind you we have a section of the site dedicated to it). People simply ask you to not bring it in this section or other non-political sections and then you get all offended and thread jack more about politics. So why don't you show some respect and stay on topic or just ####!

(Oh ya, respond all you want, but this will be the one and only time I address this situation again.)

it's one of many.

i feel bad for you if that's your hobby however i do hope you and yours have a nice holiday season

i don't devote a lot of time to it.

i was serious about the Merry Christmas. have a Happy New Year as well.

i have let it go.

Take offense to this post if you want, but you just spew political garbage all over this forum (mind you we have a section of the site dedicated to it). People simply ask you to not bring it in this section or other non-political sections and then you get all offended and thread jack more about politics. So why don't you show some respect and stay on topic or just ####!

(Oh ya, respond all you want, but this will be the one and only time I address this situation again.)

i didn;t make the mountain out of the mole hill.

Politics... gotta love it.

The "little people" picking sides and fighting amongst one another actually thinking/believing they have a say or voice.

did i offend the wittle wibewal?

You as a matter of fact you did not offened me in the least, but political comments spread all over the place do nothing but polute perfectly good threads. It is kind of like ferting in someone's face while they are trying to eat. Sure the ferting person cannot hold it in because they are ill trained, but there are better places to let er rip.

well silly me..........

You as a matter of fact you did not offened me in the least, but political comments spread all over the place do nothing but polute perfectly good threads. It is kind of like ferting in someone's face while they are trying to eat. Sure the ferting person cannot hold it in because they are ill trained, but there are better places to let er rip.

i just figured everyone would have a quick chuckle for a second and move on.seems like what should have happened.

what the hell is this world coming to?

what the hell is this world coming to?

People getting sick of hearing "your guy's an idiot" or "my guy is the going to save the world", that is what it is coming to.

I was raised that one did not talk about politics, religion or money in polite circles. I consider parts above the polical section of this forum polite circles. The political section is for slinging mud and getting dirty, this is not the place for that.

years ago when i did landscaping and mowing i would periodically get complaints from women customers.when i arrived to resolve it all of a sudden it 'wasn't a real big deal."

next thing i know i am sitting there **** chatting for an hour or more.i have been asked out to dinner,weekend getaways,family events,offered drinks,a swim in the pool,you name it.some of these women i know where married.a couple of them even made advances while their spouse was home.

i decided early on in life never to mess with another man's woman,customers outside of work,or get involved romantically with co workers.seems to have served me well.every time i see other not abide by these basic rules,they seem to get sucked into a drama series,no thanks.

i think you handles it well.especially the jab at the end.:cheers:
You Know you were asking for it
lumberjack-1.jpg

sounds like you have guilt associated with your vote.

People getting sick of hearing "your guy's an idiot" or "my guy is the going to save the world", that is what it is coming to.

I was raised that one did not talk about politics, religion or money in polite circles. I consider parts above the polical section of this forum polite circles. The political section is for slinging mud and getting dirty, this is not the place for that.

we all make mistakes but sometimes have to live with the consequence.don't get mad at me because you didn't see him for what he really was.

like i said,i expected people to chuckle to themselves and move on.the only ones that polluted this thread where the ones that did all the whining over one short statement. be mad at yourselves,not me.

that isn't me.

WTH?!?!?

Where did you get my picture from?????

i don't have any tattoos.

i don't think i'm great looking or anything.i was just stating what happened.it doesn't happen now or i don't pick up on it anymore.who knows.

that was down south and now i am in New England.that could have a lot to do with it.

Latest posts

Back