When to water -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taddat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I live in Mn and this fall has hit the record books for least amount of rain from Sept to Dec in the past 140 years. Last August, I planted 12 or so small (18" tall ) white pines. They are in a place that has no access to a well so I had to truck water to them. I watered them a few times a week for a month or so. Recently, the temps have been below 25° at night with daytime highs in the 40's and we still have no snow. Does watering the trees this late in the year have any benefit? In other words, should I continue to water them and for how long?

Thanks

Let your finger do the talking--if you stick it in the soil near the roots and it's damp down there, hold off on the water.

Mulch will keep the root environment more stable.

Picture?

The soil is rock hard it is so dry. Dose the freezing temps make any difference for watering? The daytime temps are still getting above freezing but is is in the 20's at night.

The soil is rock hard it is so dry.
If soil is rock hard, perhaps it needs amending. By breaking up the ground and adding compost. This will avoid runoff and improve water-retaining. Ideally done before planting of course but can be done now with care.

water

I live in Mn and this fall has hit the record books for least amount of rain from Sept to Dec in the past 140 years. Last August, I planted 12 or so small (18" tall ) white pines. They are in a place that has no access to a well so I had to truck water to them. I watered them a few times a week for a month or so. Recently, the temps have been below 25° at night with daytime highs in the 40's and we still have no snow. Does watering the trees this late in the year have any benefit? In other words, should I continue to water them and for how long?

Thanks

Along with the other replys why not use some products like Wilt Proof on the foilage. Just spray it on and it will help with mositure lost during the winter and early spring-

Latest posts

Back