When you see a climber fall .....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think it is logical that the path diversion by linebacker block would change things as so much of the downward force would be tied up it the fight to stay on path against the sideways hit? But you'd have to catch their C.o.B. right for best push? i'd think that the downward force would be 'taxed' to match the hit, and the downward force would not be at an efficient angle for just a minimal match of force by down? But then not maximum angle for diversion by hit either, as well?

Then, any part of the downward moving body's force that had been misdirected after that, would compound all that by seperately making an indirect hit with ground? As 2 seperate functions to be assessed?

In "Putting out on the Side" thread , i tried to show that any push/pull (linebacker hit/ tapered hinge fibers) to the side of the movement had a cost on the fall's force because of the cost of maintaining the direction of a fall. And any indirect impact with ground as a seperate componenet. Also, if i can get a hinge to pull to the side on a branch right at tear off, even if it doesn't seem to change the direction any, i think it like disturbs a % if the 'internal inertia'; that gives a lil war inside 'destabilizing direction' a lil, for somewhat as an indiretct hit. Partial proof is that branch,stob,log is more likely to roll, deflect in direction of final pull at tearoff once hitting ground IMLHO; saving lilies, sprinkler heads, giving extra frogiveness level to calculation of drop etc.

So i think that linebacker hit could help, but risk of secondary injury and lack of reaction time kinda mute it out. Perhaps if you were standing right there and someone fell from ladder or roof... i see it more from apples falling from trees than classroom fer sure; don't we deal with falling bodies all of the time?

So, i'll continue to use the pushes/pulls to side of falling force as an aid to clipping potential force and it's direction for damage potential rating from fall; but prolly with saw, not scrawny lil'butt!:eek: Hitting an electrically charged person to knock away is higher chance of helping, and reduced chance of self injury if you hit them while you're not grounded (physically or eletrically)?

Never understood elevator thingy, seems like their would be more cleanup detail, if you were in the air when car hit bottom and continued to move at floor at same velocity after floor had stopped abruptly. i kinda doubt upward jump would be possible, let alone appreciable at that kinda free fall.... On floor, you would slow down with floor? Hanging on to hand rail scooched low, causing it to shear (if ya could) seems like best way to dispense with some force to me, then roll. But with all that timing and force, prolly a mute point too for most!

Here is a fell with an inter-arresting situation by "Standing Against All Odds" . Trees are the largest living organisms to ever wander our Earth, larger than the dinosaur's, to a totally different scale than to wee ants to these matchsticks.

Orrrrrrrrr something like that!
:alien:

Last edited:
Relation to trapeze spotters?

A fiction book I read involved circus trapeze artists and riggers. It seemed well researched and authoritative. For the life of me, I can't remember the title. It talked about the spotters who work under the trapeze artist. Their job was to break the fall of a falling artist, presumably by the 'linebacker block' method. The book commented that this often allowed the artist to survive the accident without lasting injury. The spotter, however, usually ended up with a broken back and paralyzed. Any ex-circus people in the audience?

I agree with the math that a fall from under 20-40 feet would happen too quickly to react to unless you were focused on it and in position already.

-Kevin

A late entry into the debate, but H&S advice I've received states you should always keep yourself out of danger, and that's your priority, even if it means standing back and watching your mate fall. I'm not sure how much difference the line backer method would make, but having someone land on you is not what you want, even though it might save the initial victim. The person underneath may well be in more danger than the person who is falling. It reminds me of an incident that I read about that happened at a New Year'sEve party. A drunk guy decides to slide down the bannister of a staircase, but gets it wrong because he is so drunk and falls down the stairwell. He lands on a young woman waiting below. He wakes up next day with a severe hangover, she wakes up next day with a broken back and little chance of ever walking again.

hello people just found this site, and thought i would throw in my two pence worth, i would have to agree to the stand back and watch statement as hard as it may be, fundamenatly tree work is dangerous so should a climber fall its a: bad luck or b: bad work practice or maybe something else that is out of everyones hands but none the less one casualty is better than two.

sometime ago i had a friend who did rock climbing he was on the ground at the time waiting to start to follow the lead climber, the lead climber fell off from a height of 6ft onto my friend the lead climber had bruising nothing more, my friend had a smahed knee now has pins and plates holding it together and 6 months of work all because he was stood in the wrong place at the wrong time,

Saving a falling climber is best kept in a hollywood movie, IMO.

Base

If I am working in a tree, cutting anything large enough to be using a tool, piece of equipment , or method where my two TIPs could become compromised, be it by error or any other chain of events..... you had better bloody well not be close enough to catch me. Get the hell out of my drop zone so I can concentrate on cutting this piece instead of my F-ing lanyard.
My two cents.

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
What do you do?

I'm not talking about first aid, dial 911, none of that.

If you are close enough to make contact with him before impact, what have you been trained/told to do? :confused:

If a treeman falls in the woods, and no one is there to hear him, does he really make a sound?

When I fought fire we always speculated about whether or not you'd take a falling tree or a rolling boulder to push your buddy out of the way to safety. In my experience people just freeze up when something bad like a climber falling out of a tree happens.

Nice thread Butch. :blob2: :blob2: :blob5:

this does seem like a freak scenario, but, i imagine trying in some way to break this poor beggars fall somehow or other. also, i imagine myself causing there to be two ambulances on the scene instead of one. under my selfish exterior, i fancy myself a humanitarian above all other things.

btw, butch, very odd question. if it wasnt coming from an established member here, i would most likely disregard it as a troll...

Not a climber, but some diving experience, plus other stuff, two people hurt makes things worse. Some times you just gotta let them go. The most important rule is, never hold your breath. While diving. Saved me.

Jeezuz MB, the last thing you want to worry about as you're bombing down out of a tree is that I might be on my way to deliver a hit.

Much better for you if I'm making for the truck to call the boss and picking up your next job! :)

RedlineIt

Had a woman come into rehab after she fell off an 8' step ladder. She was trying to help her 80 year neighbor in his garage. She fell on him, breaking her wrist and killing the neighbor.... A pile of brush at the base beats a dead homeowner.

Some cliff jumping (diving experience for ya), we went off a 40 ft +/- some cliff a few times when I was younger. If you had your arms outstretched when hitting the water, they'd sting for hours. I also recall that we would plunger nearly 10-15 ft under water after the jump, and that was when you sprawled out your limbs to slow your descent in the water. I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that type of a hit. And the 1.5 seconds or so calculation was about right, you hardly had time to remember to tuck your arms in.

We have a 35' (+/- depending on water level) high dive here at a private hangout called the "Pit". Its a retired gravel pit that a local tycoon made into a getaway/party place for his family and friends.

On it I have never had the testicular fortitude to dive off it. I have jumped off feet first and have touched the bottom (20+'). Opening your arms as soon as you go under helps alot to slow your decent but hitting the bottom then swimming over 50' really makes some people nervous while you go under then pop up several seconds later.

As to the fall, every time I go off that board I have time to think about why the hell did I make this jump? Ok, I need to get my legs together as to not be sodomized by water. Angle feet. Close eyes, hit, open arms/go to the bottom.

Back