Where do we (you/I) go from here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tattooing is coming on fast, I hear. :clap:

Seriously, sell arboriculture. If there were three of me, we'd all be busy.

LOL! Good one! You obviously know that I owned and operated Crimson Dragon, the first licensed tattoo shop in the State of Texas (License # 000001) In '92 I was one of three shops, in Austin. When I got out, there were twenty-seven. Now there are over fifty! That gig messed up my back, big time, but since I was also doing trees, at the same time, I stayed in shape. Once I went with the trees, only, they started wearing down every other part of me. Well---almost every other part :dizzy:

LOL! Good one! You obviously know that I owned and operated Crimson Dragon, the first licensed tattoo shop in the State of Texas (License # 000001) In '92 I was one of three shops, in Austin. When I got out, there were twenty-seven. Now there are over fifty! That gig messed up my back, big time, but since I was also doing trees, at the same time, I stayed in shape. Once I went with the trees, only, they started wearing down every other part of me. Well---almost every other part :dizzy:

I had a guy coming up out of Houston running them out of my house a couple of years ago. His mother and 2 brothers were neighbors. Both of his brothers worked as ground men for me at one point. The whole family ran tattoos. The guy from Houston owned three shops there but was in high demand here. This was back when tats were still outlawed in OK. The guy paid me to set up shop in my house. Really helped in the Wintertime while I was slow. We all made out. ;)

I had a guy coming up out of Houston running them out of my house a couple of years ago. His mother and 2 brothers were neighbors. Both of his brothers worked as ground men for me at one point. The whole family ran tattoos. The guy from Houston owned three shops there but was in high demand here. This was back when tats were still outlawed in OK. The guy paid me to set up shop in my house. Really helped in the Wintertime while I was slow. We all made out. ;)

I remember folks coming in from OK, in the days I had my shop in Austin. I never understood how the ban was enforced.

I remember folks coming in from OK, in the days I had my shop in Austin. I never understood how the ban was enforced.

This guy had a good name and was well known for his work. He was very good. He had a clientele and when he came into town it was spread word of mouth like wildfire. There was literally a line outside of my place of people waiting to get one.

I learned a lot about tattooing letting him work out of my place. He was very sanitary and everything had to be sterilized before he began work on someone. This was back when I still smoked cigarettes and he would not even allow smoking in the house when he worked. It was my house but he was paying me well and explained to me that the smoke in the air could cause infection to set in on the new tattoos. I had no problem making people step outside to smoke and doing so myself.

I was also surprised by the the clientele. The average customer was not your biker, gang member or anything like that. Sometimes it was football players (we did one for the quarterback of OSU) or a father getting one for himself and his son as a memorial to a son and brother who had died and sometimes it was your average mom who was getting the ink.

All of those tattoos going on and I never got one for myself. The guy told me he would do me one for free, anything I wanted. However, tats are still kind of stigmatized here. Little old ladies don't like guys working at their homes who are sleeved out in tats. I would have loved to have gotten one but I don't think it would have been too great for business. My ground guy who still works for me got one and I would have like to but thought better of it from a business standpoint. One day when I hit the lottery and don't have to deal with little old ladies in Tulsa anymore I will get me a good one. ;)

Wow.

I will check into that before I spout something I am not sure about. I do know that I have been given tickets for "company name not displayed" even though we had our DOT number on the truck.

I'll be looking for the DOT regulation...

Missouri formerly had laws that required the owner of every single pickup to have the owners name and address on the drivers side. You can still spot all the old 50's & 60's pickups in the junkyards with the lettering in place. Apparently that law was repealed or enforcement died out completely.

That's crazy.And I thought Connecticut was a bunch of loon balls.

I will check into that before I spout something I am not sure about. I do know that I have been given tickets for "company name not displayed" even though we had our DOT number on the truck.

I'll be looking for the DOT regulation...

Missouri formerly had laws that required the owner of every single pickup to have the owners name and address on the drivers side. You can still spot all the old 50's & 60's pickups in the junkyards with the lettering in place. Apparently that law was repealed or enforcement died out completely.

I got pulled over last month for not having the company name on the bucket truck. DOT said to get it on there within 14 days.... must be something new.

That was easy.

This took all of one minute to find. You had better put up your signs!

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/marking.htm

Highlights of the Commercial Motor Vehicle Marking Final Rule

1. Eliminates the marking regulations of the former Interstate Commerce Commission.
2. Requires all interstate motor carriers to display the USDOT number.
3. Requires that CMVs be marked with the legal name, or a single trade name, of the business entity that owns or controls the motor carrier operation. This information must match the information on the motor carrier's Form MCS-150 .
4. Motor carriers that are currently displaying an ICC-MC number will be allowed two years to comply with the requirement to affix the USDOT number to both sides of the CMVs that they currently have in service. New and repainted CMVs must be properly marked when they are placed in service.
5. Motor carriers will be allowed five years to comply with the additional requirements to display the legal name or single trade name on their CMVs currently in service.

This is NOT a new rule boys! You are FOURTEEN years too late. Here is the history:

http://regulations.vlex.com/vid/motor-carrier-vehicle-marking-23375897

On January 28, 1992, the FHWA published a final rule (57 FR 3142) which required interstate motor carriers to mark their interstate CMVs with specific information, including the USDOT number (see 49 CFR 390.21) . The final rule, however, provided an exception for ICC authorized for-hire motor carriers that complied with the marking requirements formerly in 49 CFR part 1058, now redesignated as 49 CFR 390.401, 390.403, 390.405, and 390.407 (61 FR 54706, 54710, October 21, 1996). The ICC Termination Act of 1995 (ICCTA) (Pub. L. 104-88, 109 Stat. 803) was enacted on December 29, 1995, and became effective on January 1, 1996.

Last edited:
I'm getting very close to throwing in the towel. I don't care what is being said on the news. I know, very well, that our economy is limping along and may take another nosedive within the next year. Tree care is NOT a big priority to most, when everyone is worrying about their own incomes.

My question: If you were going to start up another business, what would that business be, based on where you feel there is a need out there that is not being met? Obviously we can all joke around on this, and, hey, that's cool with me, as long as some of you can come up with some business pursuits you honestly think may be the next "big thing."

Thanks, in advance. Hopefully business will pick up and I'll get out of my funk.

I'm sure you did this already but just in case.

I went through my whole customer list from the last 7 years and sent out a newsletter to everyone (over 1000 people) thanking them for their business, offering free detailed assesments/reports and advertizing our essential services at a discounted price. I also explained to them what their money was getting when they hired us by comparing myself to my competition, and outlining my different insurances and education/certifications. I have had a few jobs come in and am expecting more as the spring approaches.

Like us, you seem to have a lot of legit credentials. Sometimes your customers just need to be reminded why you are the best choice for them and where their money is going.

I've scaled down my employees and payroll and don't mind if jobs are now taking us longer to complete.

Lastly, stay positive. Stay busy. Are your trucks lettered up? If so what is the busiest area of your town? Park the truck there for a few hours! Join a business networking group (better yet start one!), put some free talks on at your local greenhouse or gardeners meeting. People want to feel like you care, not just that you want their money.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:
Selling off stuff is definitely something to do to get out from under payments and taking back some of that investment money put in it. In a vague way renting it out is something else. A lot of people just rent out what ever they have like an extra room in the attic or camper. Either way this is a long drawn out process that doesn't need to get started too late because it is going to take a while to sell during these times. Down sizing looks to me like a 1-2 year evolution, and if your credit is good, you can buy everything you need again at the turn of the dime.

From what I've learned in business classes is that down sizing is key in situations like these. I've learned that the big companies break like titanics and little companies are much more apt at just being bounced around but keeping it together though. Mitigating your company's assets will mean you are working more hours on jobs because you don't have the big equipment, but your prices can then be competitive in times when that is all that counts. The idea is to keep money trickling across your hands.

I know that who ever has the strategy or financial depth to stick it out through the low economy will come up better when times get better. All of those trees being put off are going to have to be handled sooner or later. When things are doing better, those HOs are going to all call tree services at once. The companies that bottomed out will be late getting to all of that money, and many won't even be back to this business for more ever again. This means even more rewards for those that are waiting and ready for all of that surplus of business once things get going again.

Selling off stuff is definitely something to do to get out from under payments and taking back some of that investment money put in it. In a vague way renting it out is something else. A lot of people just rent out what ever they have like an extra room in the attic or camper. Either way this is a long drawn out process that doesn't need to get started too late because it is going to take a while to sell during these times. Down sizing looks to me like a 1-2 year evolution, and if your credit is good, you can buy everything you need again at the turn of the dime.

From what I've learned in business classes is that down sizing is key in situations like these. I've learned that the big companies break like titanics and little companies are much more apt at just being bounced around but keeping it together though. Mitigating your company's assets will mean you are working more hours on jobs because you don't have the big equipment, but your prices can then be competitive in times when that is all that counts. The idea is to keep money trickling across your hands.

I know that who ever has the strategy or financial depth to stick it out through the low economy will come up better when times get better. All of those trees being put off are going to have to be handled sooner or later. When things are doing better, those HOs are going to all call tree services at once. The companies that bottomed out will be late getting to all of that money, and many won't even be back to this business for more ever again. This means even more rewards for those that are waiting and ready for all of that surplus of business once things get going again.

:agree2:

well said. :clap:

I have been around this racket a little while and I have seen first hand who makes it and who doesn't.

The carpenter who moonlights as a tree service will not make it in this business environment. Especially if he got himself stretched out with credit.

The ones who make it are either the old guys who have been in it forever, have all of their stuff paid for or the old timers who know how to live small, have all their stuff paid for and really don't know anything else.

The guys who have made this a career and know how to improvise, adapt and persevere will always be around.

O.K. post ,FTA, but one error, not all big companies break like the Titanic. 2009 was our best year and I am booked all year, every year and we dont advertise. I hired 4 guys in the last six moths and will probably hire another 2 or 3 within the next few months. These storms bring alot of work for me but it also sets back my clients that are on 3 to 5 year maintenance plans. So technically, we are solid for years to come. If I get a request for a reidential job, I refer them to a couple of companies I have known for many years.
Jeff:)

outside the box

2009 was the slowest year for tree work I have seen yet. I have all my business equipment for sale on arboristsite. I am hoping to stay in the game because I am sure things will improve. Last November I thought to myself think outside the box I.e. don't market to the same residential customers who are broke and looking for the lowest price right now. I found a job the next day in the challenge course/ropes course industry based on my arborist experience. There is still work you just need to work harder for less$:monkey:

This took all of one minute to find. You had better put up your signs!

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/marking.htm

Highlights of the Commercial Motor Vehicle Marking Final Rule

1. Eliminates the marking regulations of the former Interstate Commerce Commission.
2. Requires all interstate motor carriers to display the USDOT number.
3. Requires that CMVs be marked with the legal name, or a single trade name, of the business entity that owns or controls the motor carrier operation. This information must match the information on the motor carrier's Form MCS-150 .
4. Motor carriers that are currently displaying an ICC-MC number will be allowed two years to comply with the requirement to affix the USDOT number to both sides of the CMVs that they currently have in service. New and repainted CMVs must be properly marked when they are placed in service.
5. Motor carriers will be allowed five years to comply with the additional requirements to display the legal name or single trade name on their CMVs currently in service.

This is NOT a new rule boys! You are FOURTEEN years too late. Here is the history:

http://regulations.vlex.com/vid/motor-carrier-vehicle-marking-23375897

On January 28, 1992, the FHWA published a final rule (57 FR 3142) which required interstate motor carriers to mark their interstate CMVs with specific information, including the USDOT number (see 49 CFR 390.21) . The final rule, however, provided an exception for ICC authorized for-hire motor carriers that complied with the marking requirements formerly in 49 CFR part 1058, now redesignated as 49 CFR 390.401, 390.403, 390.405, and 390.407 (61 FR 54706, 54710, October 21, 1996). The ICC Termination Act of 1995 (ICCTA) (Pub. L. 104-88, 109 Stat. 803) was enacted on December 29, 1995, and became effective on January 1, 1996.

Man! You always have to put the man down with that brain of yours.LOL.:wave:
But really reading that I have to get legal with all my country arse stuff.Thats going to cost me.
But hey all the kids around here are hollering for tats so maybe:rockn: open up a tat slash removal shop.

2009 was the slowest year for tree work I have seen yet. I have all my business equipment for sale on arboristsite. I am hoping to stay in the game because I am sure things will improve. Last November I thought to myself think outside the box I.e. don't market to the same residential customers who are broke and looking for the lowest price right now. I found a job the next day in the challenge course/ropes course industry based on my arborist experience. There is still work you just need to work harder for less$:monkey:

I looked up the word "oxymoron" , It said "I want to sell all my business equiptment ,but hope to stay in the field". Weird.
Jeff

Its definitely rough on the Tree care industry now. But the Tree dr is right rope access work and high angle jobs never go away. From high rise window washing to Windmill energy.

Back