Where does the term "shoulder season" come from?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, I've been here for 9 years and I suppose I should know this, but how did the term "shoulder season" originate?

I get WHEN it is; in the early and late parts of the heating season when temps are not quite as cold and just evening fires are necessary as opposed to round the clock burning.

I also get WHAT it is; the smaller rounds, chunks, and not as desireable species that are good for those quick fires and allow you to hold off on using your best wood until the real cold arrives.

But I don't get the "shoulder" part. No one uses that term around here. We just say "early season" or "late season", or Fall or Spring.

Fill me in guys. :)

Yup, like Del says, from a common Gaussian statistical distribution. So, you don't have too many mathematicians in Ashokan, not a problem. :rolleyes: Most of them can't diagnose/fix 2-strokes either.

Um, in a word, no...

The term shoulder season was coined in the 60s to refer to the travel season between peak and off-peak seasons, especially spring and fall, when fares tended to be relatively low. It was later adopted to refer to the spring and fall in pasture management, the lighter heating season, and other spring/fall terms.

Yup, like Del says, from a common Gaussian statistical distribution. So, you don't have too many mathematicians in Ashokan, not a problem. :rolleyes: Most of them can't diagnose/fix 2-strokes either.

Thanks for the explanation guys; never would have guessed that.

I did get an A in calculus in college BTW, but I don't think the professor had a wood stove. :)

Nearly every activity seems to have it's own unique lingo that serves little purpose other than to distinguish between those in the know and those that don't know... ;)

It just sounds cooler than saying Spring or Fall. :D

You crazy guys..... You're all wrong with your fancy mathematicals and other hard words to spell.

Shoulder season is a dual purpose term that has been used by a certain breed of individuals to let them know it's time to rip the sleeves off their shirts to expose the shoulders (for example Larry the cable guy) and has also been used by those sporting a "MULLET" to identify the time of year to get the rear locks trimmed back to the shoulder region.

Pow!

But that's wiktionary zogger! That could just be two people's opinions, the poster and the moderator. I almost edited and added gumnecks definition as well. lol. Actually the travel definition works as well as the firewood one too. I've never thought about it much because it makes sense to me. The shoulder of a road transitions from hard to soft like the weather of winter into spring. I just wish we'd yank the steering wheel into the ditch already!

But that's wiktionary zogger! That could just be two people's opinions, the poster and the moderator. I almost edited and added gumnecks definition as well. lol. Actually the travel definition works as well as the firewood one too. I've never thought about it much because it makes sense to me. The shoulder of a road transitions from hard to soft like the weather of winter into spring. I just wish we'd yank the steering wheel into the ditch already!

I would think because it is legit and languages evolve, to go ahead and add the firewood definition to it.

in older times,,women had a shawl or other light wrap they would put over their shoulders when it was a mite cooler out,,or even in the house if it wasn't warm..a "shoulder" covering..hence the word shoulder season...sheesh..

I'd have to agree with this explanation . It makes the most sense and describes both fall and spring and shawls and afghans were very common up to about 50 years ago in mild temperatures

"Shoulder," in addition to the body part, also refers to a sloped area usually abutting something else -- for example, the chimney below has a double shoulder:

Fireplace-Chimney-Assy_DoubleShoulder.jpg

Make a graph showing, oh, BTU needs by week from July to July, it'll be flat in summer, ramps up during "shoulder season" as I burn a little bit more each week until you're burning about the same...in my case about Dec 15th-Mar15th. Then it ramps down for another shoulder season until about June 1st when it remains flat at nothing till next October 1st.

Back