Where Should I Prune Snow Damage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defurr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We got some record snow fall about a month ago, and my Live Oaks obviously lost some branches. I just now saw this one (see below). I've been trying to spray any place where I prune with Spectraside pruning sealer, but this particular branch is too far out on a limb for me to be able to safely do that.

If I cut a little lower on the branch (figure 2), I will have no problem spraying the area, but it will take another, smaller and yet still viable branch with it (figure 3).

I assume it's worth the sacrifice of the viable branch to get a good clean cut and seal it, rather than just leaving the damaged area the way it currently is (figure 1)?

tree.jpg

I assume it's worth the sacrifice of the viable branch to get a good clean cut and seal it, rather than just leaving the damaged area the way it currently is (figure 1)?

tree.jpg

No it is not. If you can reach where you circled num 2 you can reach the union of the viable branch num 3 and just remove the torn limb num 1. Nice pic by the way. I do not have pic editing so can not produce a line where the cut should go maybe someone else can help with that.

Dave

Yeah, I know it looks like I could spare that viable branch, but without taking a better/bigger picture, just trust me: If I could reach to cut off the damaged part and only the damaged part (and that's a big if), I would not be able to reach around and spray it with sealant.

To get to figure 2, I'm already standing on some pretty shaky branches. I'm just not comfortable pushing the limits of safety and go even further out on the skinny branch to do that.

So, truly my choices are (a) leave the damaged part hanging like it is or (b) cut and seal at figure 2. My sentimental bias would be (a), so I could save that one viable branch, but my intellectual bias says that leaving mangled tree flesh like that exposed to bugs and disease is not a good plan, leading me to conclude that (b) is the better choice.

I guess a third option (c) would be to cut only the damaged part and just not seal it?

Use a pole saw to make the cut. With a pole and a hinge you can make long reach sprayer.Tape the can of spray with a gate hinge resting on the plunger to a pole. Tie a string to the hinge. You can now spray as far as your pole will reach.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Great input. I will see what I can do along those lines. Is it damaging to the tree as a whole if I cut off that viable branch? It's not very big...

I doubt you would cause much additional damage, though I can't see how much this is in relation to the tree as a whole.

It is just always better to trim to a lateral. The tree will respond better, look better and you will feel better.

Dave

Thanks for the tips. We had a good amount of damage this winter and with the recent weather here.

Latest posts

Back