Where stock is grown/ then grafted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gopher here.

Say, I am doing my column for a newsletter (monthly - an electric cooperative newsletter), and I am going to elaborate a little on where stock is grown and the root graft and how it pertains to poor planting (often too deep).

What I would like to know is this, "Where is most of the top-growth of nursery stock in MN and WI grown?" I have heard Washington, but I would like to have a reply on this to substantiate some of my writing. It doesn't matter to me, but I want to make sure I am reporting the process properly.

Thank you for all comments.

Gopher

:D

My *guess* is that it mostly comes from J. Frank Schimdt out in Washington/Oregon. They are the major supplier of bare root stock in the U.S. I think they are actually in Oregon, but I don't remember for sure. A quick web search should turn them up.

There are many, many other suppliers of bare root stock in the U.S., however, Schmidt is probably the most well known and biggest.

Dan

stock origination

Thanks Dan. I called a couple of nursery people I know, and they said that some of their stock does come from Oregon.

Gopher

Back