Where To Get Mill Smooth Files?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get them in typically local stores? The local ACE only carries mill bastard files, not smooths. I've got one that's still OK, but I want to get a new one for sharpening axes.

I have a very good pawn shop where I get mine. Got my axe there also. Some bozo was using a hand held grinder to do a very poor job sharpening. Fixed it with the file though.

I haven't had much luck finding them locally. usually order from Mcmaster-carr or machine shop suppliers like MSC.

Anyone know where to get them in typically local stores? The local ACE only carries mill bastard files, not smooths. I've got one that's still OK, but I want to get a new one for sharpening axes.

I haven't had much luck finding them locally. usually order from Mcmaster-carr or machine shop suppliers like MSC.
Thanks - I guess I'll throw one on next time I order something from McMaster-Carr at work. Was hoping to find one locally.

I got a bench mount belt sander and that thing works awesome to take the burs and stuff out then do the finish touchings up with a flat metal file :)

Was looking for a half-round to dress a 2-man crosscut saw.

Can't get a thing local here except rough cut Chi-Com **** at $15 per.

I got two box fulls of American steel, some were worn or needed cleaning, for $5 at tag sales. Nice variety of round, flat, half-round, mill and bastards

Thanks guys - I know I can get them on line, I just had a quaint old-fashioned idea that I might walk into a store and hand some them some cash for a file. :msp_sad:

Yeah, I know.

files

I be if you walked into your local engineering supply store they would have a range on the shelf. Any size and cut you wanted. And you would get quality, not some cheap rubbish that loses its edge after a few weeks. DIY quality just is not worth the effort

Last edited:
I be if you walked into your local engineering supply store they would have a range on the shelf. Any size and cut you wanted. And you would get quality, not some cheap rubbish that loses its edge after a few weeks. DIY quality just is not worth the effort
Engineering supply store must be something getting lost in translation - I'm not sure what the equivalent here would be. There are local plumbing, electrical & HVAC supply houses, but it's hit or miss if they'll sell to you. Industrial supplies typically come delivery from someplace like McMCaster-Carr, who somehow seem to ship as soon as you've made up you mind to buy it. From what I understand they have a UPS facility in their warehouse.

production tool supply has a nice selection of brand name files. all shapes and sizes. nicholson was my favorite and still pretty much is but they dont seem to hold an edge like they did 10 years ago. i am a machinist and a file is in my hand a good part of the day. we use mostly mill bastards or 2nd cut. very nice to remove the burr from machining or clean up that edge on an axe. you wont get a real sharp edge without the stone but probably good enough for most.

production tool supply has a nice selection of brand name files. all shapes and sizes. nicholson was my favorite and still pretty much is but they dont seem to hold an edge like they did 10 years ago. i am a machinist and a file is in my hand a good part of the day. we use mostly mill bastards or 2nd cut. very nice to remove the burr from machining or clean up that edge on an axe. you wont get a real sharp edge without the stone but probably good enough for most.
I enjoy sharpening things and have been doing it since I was a early teenager - which was a while ago now! I can get a pretty serious edge with a mill smooth file, but I sometimes do run a old scythe whetstone over it. The smooth file I have now is a Nicholson.

files

Our engineering supply stores sell to the public, but if you are trade, the price is undercut. So basically if you can prove your trade affilation by being known, or working for a trade company, you get "trade" prices, The amount depends on the amount of business your company puts through, or the contract price. this can be anything from 10% to 60%. The company I work for has a supply contract, with a company, and as trademen we get 60% on most things, Also a lot of the companys send out "flyers" with trade specials in them,to workshops
One of the companys we deal from sends out the "oilyrag" with their specials in it, once a month. Another has Roadzone, manly heavy transport stuff, but good tool deals too

Back