where to get rigging equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
wondering whats the best rigging equipment and a place too order from? looking for everything i need? if you guys have any ideas where i can purchase new at? im not sure of all the things i need... so please any advice would really help... i know my buddy said i need a portamatic (sp) and something about a dmi? i have know clue..

Me thinks you should have a clue as what the stuff is before you buy it and think you're ready to go .

Though we may joke around about some of the things we do ,anybody that has been around tree work knows it is serious stuff.
People get hurt and killed doing this type of work.

Everything I own has labels all over them saying DANGER ,CAUTION ,INJURIES,ELECTROCUTION,KILL ,ETC.

Not trying to be harsh ,but it is what it is.
Stay safe.

Me thinks you should have a clue as what the stuff is before you buy it and think you're ready to go .

Though we may joke around about some of the things we do ,anybody that has been around tree work knows it is serious stuff.
People get hurt and killed doing this type of work.

Everything I own has labels all over them saying DANGER ,CAUTION ,INJURIES,ELECTROCUTION,KILL ,ETC.

Not trying to be harsh ,but it is what it is.
Stay safe.

yes i totally understand what you mean... we have been taking trees down for 14 years i have never used tree rigging equipment, my tree cutter has... that's why im not sure what all to buy... i also understand tree work is very dangerous, that's why im wanting to buy rigging equipment, because we are tired of taking down 85' trees with out a little help... and he says this equipment will make his job easier and safer... and that my friend is the most important thing...

Does your climber have a computer?
If he does ,or has axcess to one ,try to get him on here.

If you have some experience and are wanting to build on it that is different than trying to explain rigging from scratch.

The tree climber's companion is a great book to start with,and pretty cheap too ,$15 give or take from sherril.
The sherril catolog explains the uses of most of their products as well.
They will probably send you a catolog for free.

Be glad to help you if I can on any questions .
Other members here are more than willing to help as well.
We need specific questions though.
Hard to post all there is about all the different gear.

Have the guy who knows how to use the rigging buy what you need and teach you how to use it. This is something that you do not want to take lightly! Training and experience are very important and can not be understated in any way. If you need rigging try Sherrill Tree, Baileys, or Wes Spur they are all listed in the banner at the top of this site and will have everything that you need and want. Stay safe :cheers:

This site reminds me of a saying I learned at a young age.
"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day; Teach a man how to catch fish and feed him forever"
This rings true in every aspect of life, however this thread (and I don't mean to flame) is going nowhere. jdog is just asking where to buy rigging equipment and what the best equipment is to use. Teachers teach therefore I would think some of the pros here would help by simply making statements like "Every rigging setup is different depending how you intend to use it" and "Only use equipment that is manufactured for it's intended use" and you could even say "For example, you wouldn't want to use a micro pulley where an arborist block is needed, but this is only an small example of the knowledge that you'll have to have before you buy unnecessary or improper equipment for the job"
Now to jdog, the guy's on here are surpurb, and will help but they will need some specifics about what you want to do. : IE will you need equipment that is designed to withstand shock loading and mass about of weight. or just rigging for twiggs. Will you need setups for double crouching and redirects and how tall are the average trees (for line setting via throw line). anwser some of these questions and I'm sure you'll start getting some guidance on what to buy and where to buy it.

BTY: what is your climber using now for rigging? Freefalling or even blocking down 85'ers without rigging seems to be dangerous. Not to mention what those pieces are doing to the ground below when they hit.

Last edited:
There are about a half a dozen sponsors on the top of this page that sell rigging gear. Learning and knowing how to use it is up to you and your climber. Not something that is easily learned from a book. You kind of have to see it in practice.

wondering whats the best rigging equipment and a place too order from? looking for everything i need? if you guys have any ideas where i can purchase new at? im not sure of all the things i need... so please any advice would really help... i know my buddy said i need a portamatic (sp) and something about a dmi? i have know clue..

These are very broad questions. You need to know more before you can make choices. At the very least you need a rope, a block and a friction devise. Friction devises range from a figure 8 which is like $30 to a GRCS which is over a thousand. Get a sherrill catalog and look through that. I like stablebraid ropes personally and CMI blocks. Ask more specific questions..... Mike

Latest posts

Back